Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our trike since 2004. In the early years, I soon realized that when placed in neutral, like when being warmed up in front of the motel while I wipe dew off, etc, it will "roll" as there is no stand on it like a bike. I've seen others wish for a hold device other than "reverse" which I also wished for (I have reverse, I just do not wish to use it as a parking brake), then one day I had an idea. I've seen /read/heard tales of trikes rolling off from garage doors, etc as the owner exited to close a door … and down driveways into parked cars, the street … even into woods. A friend once had it happen and turned to grab the trike to stop it and it pulled them down too, messed up their wrist & arm as I recall.

So, years ago … I used a piece of 3/8" aluminum 1.5" long, beveled on one end like a car ramp, and I added steps with a file. I hung it from a "ball chain" attached to the front brake hose with a zip tie. I've used it a lot, just apply the front brake with one hand and with the other, grab the wedge and insert in between the lever "tab" and lever bracket above the little button for front brake switch, then just release lever and brake is secure until next squeeze of the lever. I have long thought of adding a handle or something to make it easier with gloves on or just to "feel" direction if seated on the trike.

Yesterday, (04-11-2020) I made a new one.

This one is made from just 1/4" aluminum, 1.75" long, no steps, just a long slight bevel on one end. Being 1/4" thick, it will fit snuggly all the way in so no steps are needed. It remains 1/2" wide, I did drill a 1/4" hole and fully countersink a 1/4-20 SS screw with a nut lock-tited and a "cap" type nut on tip. I used a little different type chain. It works superbly, immediately dropping at the pull of the lever to hang ready for next time needed.

I am thinking just from memory, that it'll work on 1200s & 1800s too, maybe others like Valks or VTX, maybe even HDs too?…. but this is on a GL1500. It's always there & to me, seems easier than messing with straps, bungies, etc. I've only used mine for short periods, and like I said, once set, just squeeze the lever and it'll drop on chain to be there next it's need. You'll find that it does not have to be tightly inserted either.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Just use a heavy rubber band around the front brake lever.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is the wiring for the kickstand switch there? If it is , likely just capped since it's a trike , just run a couple wires down and have a switch somewhere for the parking brake.

·
Trike Master
1,247 Posts
Nice idea but a comment on "warm ups":
There is no need for "minutes" of warm up on modern engines! Get on, fire up. go!

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Is the wiring for the kickstand switch there? If it is , likely just capped since it's a trike , just run a couple wires down and have a switch somewhere for the parking brake.
Huh? It's "bypassed", side stand is gone, but what would it have to do with a parking brake?

Nice idea but a comment on "warm ups":
There is no need for "minutes" of warm up on modern engines! Get on, fire up. go!
Yeah, but folk do it just the same. I like to start out on a frosty morning with enough heat in the stove that I can kick the choke off before getting on a roadway with traffic. Also works if waiting on a buddy to mount up on his Wing or to hold trike while shutting garage door, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm new to Goldwings , but was under the impression the "parking brake" is activated when the kickstand was down and locks the rear and linked front brake , while down. Just what I was told, but then again, these are new to me.

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm new to Goldwings , but was under the impression the "parking brake" is activated when the kickstand was down and locks the rear and linked front brake , while down. Just what I was told, but then again, these are new to me.
Oh, I wondered. They don't generally have parking brakes, when it's a bike and the kick stand is down, that leg generally will prevent rolling away unless on a good grade. It's a trike that will easily roll away as there is no side stand angled and supporting weight.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Great idea!! I currently a velcro strap but I'm gonna try this using a stepped plastic shim from Home Depot. Thanks for the idea..

Les

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,653 Posts
Wonder if the stepped toilet ramps would work as well.

The plastic ones used to level the base of the toilet so it does not rock on the floor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts