Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unwilling to spend the seemingly unreasonable amout of money it takes to buy a good brand of electric vest, controller, and then wire the bike with the dedicated plug....

I bought a 12v heating pad through Amazon. It's 16"x 16", perfect size to cover the chest/stomach area. Placing it under my riding clothing and outside my shirt it works really well at least down into the mid 30 degree weather. The plug is a standard 12v unit that works with the socket I had already installed in the forward righthand storage compartment. The pad is made by Trillium and does not have an on/off switch, but rather a timer with 30 or 45 minute choices...then a reset button if you want to continue use after it times out.

$30 vs. $MuchMore$ and it seems to do the job about as well. An alternateve way to use it would be to sit on it, but I haven't tried that. The pad only uses 12 watts, so there's very little additional load on the alternator.

Others may not find this solution to be as satisfactory as I have, but it might be worth your consideration.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Unwilling to spend the seemingly unreasonable amout of money it takes to buy a good brand of electric vest, controller, and then wire the bike with the dedicated plug....

I bought a 12v heating pad through Amazon. It's 16"x 16", perfect size to cover the chest/stomach area. Placing it under my riding clothing and outside my shirt it works really well at least down into the mid 30 degree weather. The plug is a standard 12v unit that works with the socket I had already installed in the forward righthand storage compartment. The pad is made by Trillium and does not have an on/off switch, but rather a timer with 30 or 45 minute choices...then a reset button if you want to continue use after it times out.

$30 vs. $MuchMore$ and it seems to do the job about as well. An alternateve way to use it would be to sit on it, but I haven't tried that. The pad only uses 12 watts, so there's very little additional load on the alternator.

Others may not find this solution to be as satisfactory as I have, but it might be worth your consideration.

I did some searching for homemade heated clothing a few years ago, unfortunately some of the links are down but you can get the gist from here: http://gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=7557

and here: http://ridemyown.com/articles/other/make_heated_clothing.shtml

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I like that idea Dannyboy! Good job! :claps::claps:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
I built a homemade vest years ago from instructions on the internet...but my wife didn't like the looks of it, and so she bought me a Widder vest (no longer in business) and it works perfectly.

Here's a tip: use something like a down vest or down sweater over your heating pad to catch and distribute the heat, and wear a larger riding jacket over the whole thing. You should be good to around 25 degrees......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.