Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I use the cheapest cat litter to be found at places like Big Lots or The Dollar store

works great and costs less:)

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Good idea. I keep my garage floor almost polished(which is too slippery if it gets water on it) My old dog hated it. I also try to never let oil or grease get on it.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

I am just now getting around to cleaning up my garage floor. Only been in the place for almost 9 years now and the original crumbly ugly yellow paint that sticks to the tires, looks like #$%^*

I have a high pressure water sprayer (got a Honda engine on it :D )

Was thinking about blowing the paint off the old concrete which is also crumbly looking.

Any suggestions for prepping the concrete before I lay down some good floor paint?

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

That cheap cat litter is too dusty for me. I start gagging as soon as a bag is opened. One side of my floor has the expoxy kit, the other side has the 18x18 snap together plastic tiles and all the work benches has the 18x18 snap together form tiles. I use a couple of those large rubber grease matts too. They're great to kneel or stand on

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I used to be in the commercial floor business. We coated new and re-coated older concrete floors in industrial settings. For old and chipped floors we used a 2-part apoxy filler that smoothed out the gouges and chipped out holes then final coated with Urthene commercial paint.

For prepping bare concrete you can use an acid etching solution to clean it with before painting.

Now here's a trick for those that want a non-skid finish to a garage floor. First get you a pair of old golf shoes with the steel spikes(well pointed) and a hand-cranked seed spreader. Now, put down 2 top coats one at a time. With the first coat still wet put on the golf shoes, fill the feed speader with a large grained sand(not the fine stuff used for the kids sandbox) and walk around on the wet paint spreading the sand to your desired amount. Let dry then sweep off any left over excess sand. Now do another, final top coat of paint to seal in the sand against wear.

Or just buy the paint with the sand already mixed into it.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I clean the driveway concrete with engine degreaser, hose it off, then toss mortar cement on it & just let it work in over time.

Looks like new, until I start parkin' my old F-150 there again.

Muriatic acic is a great paint prep for concrete...or cleaning brick. It's quite cheap by the gallon at wally's, Lowes, etc.

I checked out the garage floor coatings [5 gal pails]. They're expensive. :realshocked:

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I've had good luck cleaning oil and grease off of concrete using powdered Tide and a stiff push broom.

Hose it off, while it's still wet, scatter a good layer of Tide across it, scrub with the broom, rinse.

Never had too much trouble getting my driveway clean this way.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
I used to be in the commercial floor business. We coated new and re-coated older concrete floors in industrial settings. For old and chipped floors we used a 2-part apoxy filler that smoothed out the gouges and chipped out holes then final coated with Urthene commercial paint.

For prepping bare concrete you can use an acid etching solution to clean it with before painting.

Now here's a trick for those that want a non-skid finish to a garage floor. First get you a pair of old golf shoes with the steel spikes(well pointed) and a hand-cranked seed spreader. Now, put down 2 top coats one at a time. With the first coat still wet put on the golf shoes, fill the feed speader with a large grained sand(not the fine stuff used for the kids sandbox) and walk around on the wet paint spreading the sand to your desired amount. Let dry then sweep off any left over excess sand. Now do another, final top coat of paint to seal in the sand against wear.

Or just buy the paint with the sand already mixed into it.
Bagmaster - I'm still in that business ; ) We do a lot of floors and other industrial applications.. machinery, tanks, etc. I use a lot of this stuff:

http://www.mabpaints.com/products/products.asp?id=281

It's not cheap and it's not terribly easy to work with and you need some serious solvents to clean it up with.. but it's damned near indestructible. By comparison the stuff they sell in the hardware store is a joke. Anyone in the NJ area wants some to do a floor with should PM me, I always have some leftover after a job and its easier to give away than dispose of. I'm sick of storing the stuff!

-J

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

RayandTracy wrote:
I use the cheapest cat litter to be found at places like Big Lots or The Dollar store

works great and costs less:)

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:
great idea. to make it better, take an old piece of scrap 2x4 and rub the kitty litter into the spill. use a circular motion, and continue till the litter is ground into a fine powder. this will help lessen the stain.

robin

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

My driveway is stained from years of parking old beaters on it and the oil has soaked way down into the concrete.

The garage floor isn't too terribly bad. Mostly just peeling ugly yellow paint.

I hope the 2500 psi water sprayer will clean that off so I don't have to scrub it hard or use a paint remover.

I want a good floor that car tires will not pull up after they set on it a while. The sand texture is a must, I can't afford to be slipping and breaking any bones.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

Ever try a can of Coke,it will remove rust off of a bumber, clean up blood and they say it will clean oil off of your garage floor.
Pretty powerful stuff to be puttin down your throat I'd say.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

We sell a product called "Sharkgrip" When you seal a concrete floor with "Unigloss" You add the sharkgrip to the pail & mix it up. Than pour it on the floor & use a fluffy roller to apply it. The sharkgrip is a non slip product which is basically invisable but provides a safe non slip surface.

If you want proper products like these, Go to a ready mix plant & get it there instead of a hardware store. Or seek out a contractor like Jacknj because the Hardware stuff is generally low quality.

If you get a fresh oil spill on concrete, Pour some "Head & shoulders" on it & scrub in with minimal water. Than cover with absorball. The shampoo will pull most of the oil up & the absorball will grab it.

If anyone has any questions about concrete, I run a concrete company here & produce it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.