Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A cheapskate by nature, the price of an electric vest and controller just strikes me the wrong way. Still, wanting the option to ride in cool weather comfortably, I decided to buy a 12v heating pad and give it a try. The price with shipping was around $30.

Finally, for the first time, I tried the pad recently and am happy to report it worked perfectly! No more current than it draws (12 watts / 1 amp) I wondered if it would produce enough heat to help that much. It DOES, easily. Behind all of the wind protection afforded by a Goldwing I believe the pad would keep me toasty warm down into outside temps below which I'll ever want to ride.

This 16"x 16" pad by Trillium does not have an on/off switch, but instead has a selectable timer: 30 min or 45 min, after which it turns itself off. Also has a Reset button to restart the time. I may add a switch (and shorten the cord) as the only way to manually shut it off is unplugging it.

When I used the pad the other day it was 42F outside and I placed it between my Tshirt and long sleeve flannel shirt....then wore a Tourmaster Rincon over all. The pad made all the heat I needed to have ridden indefinitely and I likely would have cycled it off/on now and then. I also found that if I want it to be more effective I will place the pad under a more tight fitting garment than the loose fitting flannel.

I did not find using the pad to be inconvenient in any way. Getting off the bike a couple of times I just stuck the cord/controller into my pocket. Would a vest be better. I suppose so, I've never used one, but regardless of that...I see this pad as a functional, affordable alternative.

Not sayin' it's for everyone. This is just FYI.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.