Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my trusty old 1970's all metal pencil type tire gauge was getting a bit hard to read after 35+ years, even with my reading glasses, so decided to replace it.
On a whim I decided to compare the old with the new one, and was shocked to find a 4 psi difference. It seems the old one was reading short all these years, leaving me with under inflated tires. This may explain the tire noise from the shoulders when I zig zag down the road to warm em up.

If you have an older gauge you might want to replace it or at least check it against another known good one. Might save your tires from cupping or excessive wear.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
or perhaps the new made in i dunno is reading 4 PSI high ? I'd compare to several before I trust a reading .

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,674 Posts
I have found new ones to be faulty.
I like to compare at least 3 gauges to get a better notion of 'what is correct'.

I purposely air my tires to the max allowed plus a pound or two. That way when you put a gauge on to test the pressure, the little hiss you hear is not putting your tires under stress with too little air pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.