Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm riding my GL1100 up to Canada this afternoon, a 300 mile trip. I went over my bike last night, just a quick "once over" to make sure everything is where it was supposed to be, tires correct pressure, oil topped up, nuts are tight, that sort of thing.

I peered in from the back, and discovered that my rear brake line had come out of the stay on the swingarm, and was sitting about 1/4" away from my rear tire! I pulled the sidebag off and had a close look, and there had been no contact - yet! Lucky. I put it back in the stay with its rubber bushing, and crimped the stay down a bit tighter to make sure it wouldn't happen again.

I take my truck for granted - I get in, turn the key, it goes. My bike, I treat more like an airplane - things come loose, things break, you need to check it - preflight it, if you will.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Wow, close shave! I usually do a cursory check and often found nails or screws in the rear tire, which gave me time to get the tire patched or replaced.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Glad you posted that.. I neglected to.. and actually mine had touched the tire, and probably should be changed.. but not on my short list for now... Just letting everyone know that GS's experience is more than "one of a kind".. it is at least two..

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

I do a quick "look see" every time I ride, and a good overall check about once a week when just running about runs. When I start long runs it will be every day while on the run.

James

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

GS, your comment about the rear brake hose is good.

After replacing my rear brake hose with a stainless steel hose, I noticed this potential problem. The stainless hose is smaller diameter than the original rubber hose and is a little loose fitting in the rubber donut that fits in the swingarm clip. Add the fact that the stainless hose is more stiff and doesn't want to conform to shape, it wants to pop out of place.

I decided to really crimp the rubber donut more. Hopefully, it won't move to the tire as GS noticed. I need to inspect mine as his problem may be typical.

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,919 Posts
imported post

Hey there GSMacLean, As I've said before we are in Hamburg, NY between rt 5 and rt 20. You are always welcome to use us a a safehouse or even stop for a meeting with me and Button Lady. We are on both of the members help directories. If you would like company and we are available we will ride with you for a while.

D-Rod

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

This goes along with the foot pegs issue. Many thanks for the heads up McLeans. Hope you guys have a great safe ride. I leave for the upper Great Lakes in mid July.

Longboater

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
imported post

Had something similar when a quick look at my rear tire by my riding buddy who was waiting for me to gear-up noticed a fist-size chunk of tread had decided to leave my rear tire!! Could see the cord!! That could have been a fatal ride.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
Glad you posted that.. I neglected to.. and actually mine had touched the tire, and probably should be changed.. but not on my short list for now... Just letting everyone know that GS's experience is more than "one of a kind".. it is at least two..
Three ofa kind.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

D-Rod wrote:
Hey there GSMacLean, As I've said before we are in Hamburg, NY between rt 5 and rt 20. You are always welcome to use us a a safehouse or even stop for a meeting with me and Button Lady. We are on both of the members help directories. If you would like company and we are available we will ride with you for a while.

D-Rod
Thanks for the kind offer - I'm actually now writing this from Georgetown (Ontario), after a very pleasant 5 1/2 hour ride, 300 miles. Unfortunately this is a very quick trip - left directly from my office this afternoon, got here half an hour ago. First thing in the morning I'll be flying with my dad in his Cherokee 180 to Montreal, where we will be saying a sad goodbye to that beloved airplane, and leaving it with its new owner. I'll then be flying back commercial, getting back to Georgetown at 7:30 pm (hopefully), and leaving for home at that point, getting back to Ohio late LATE that night. Whirlwind trip!

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,919 Posts
imported post

Well, you are always welcome here on any of your trips. As well as other members are. I have a good friend that we visit once in a while in Strongsville, Ohio so one way or another we will probably meet up.

D-Rod

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

:shock:I am sorry I didn't say anything last month. :(When prepping my 1100 after Winter I saw that the new steel line rubbed the back tire. It only scrubbed the raised letter on the tire and only the plastic covering wore off without even putting dirt on the steel line. I thought I was the only one who didn't do something right when I installed the lines last year.

This is clearly a note to all who installed new brake lines - Check them once in a while.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Seems in my case, eveytime I do a "preflight",I find something like, a lost vestpin, a glove, a dropped screw/bolt/nut/washer......... Good heads up! jimsjinx

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
...First thing in the morning I'll be flying with my dad in his Cherokee 180 to Montreal, where we will be saying a sad goodbye to that beloved airplane, and leaving it with its new owner. ....
Have a great trip!! take lots of pictures... My dad never was a pilot, but had a good friend with an Ercoupe that I had a similar experience with... Enjoy.. Jim

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

kb0ou wrote:
Don't forget the passport when going out and back in country
I need more than that - I have to bring my green card as well, or I'm not getting back home!

So it was an interesting trip. I took off out of work at 3 pm on Monday, with two fuel stops and a short stop for a slice of pizza in the Angola rest stop in New York, I rolled into Georgetown around 9 pm.

Yesterday we were up at 7 am, out to the airport in Brampton at 8 am, wheels up at 8:30. We landed in Beloeil just before noon. We did the paperwork and handed the keys over to the new owner, and he then took us out to lunch, before taking us to Dorval. Our 3 pm flight was canceled, so we ended up on the 5 pm flight, which was delayed. We were off by around 5:30 pm, and on the ground in Toronto an hour later. Back to Georgetown by 7:15, a quick bite to eat, packed up the bike, and I was on the road around 8 pm. Two quick fuel stops, the second one I put my rain gear on, and I hit rain as I got to the Cleveland metro area. The last 40 minutes I rode through light rain, but the roads were empty, so there was no spray from other cars to deal with. I got home at 1:45 am, in bed at 2:00 am. Up at 7:30 am to go to work!

The bike is filthy, covered in bugs and road grime from the rain. We plan to take it back up to Canada (my wife and I) this weekend for a BBQ if the weather cooperates. The Bluetooth phone module I wired into the intercom worked perfectly, and the CB provided entertainment, talking with the truck drivers (who are always surprised to hear I am on a bike).

As usual, the bike performed flawlessly. I couldn't ask for anything more.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

This makes for a great short story read yet teaches a valuable lesson! My bike's down right now (carbs) but I think I'll push it outside this afternoon and give it a once over. Thank-you! Terry

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Great Point GS! Its all so easy to do it, especially if your wing has never had to add any oil other than an oil change or just add a little collant and air. I also check my fork air pressure several times weekly, and also keep an eye out for leaks. I have also started to check my battery electrolite levels religously. Thats is something we all need to remember.
Thanks,
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

Rear brake line? I checked mine the other day. I think I checked it. I'd swear I checked it. I gotta go check it again!

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

HEY GS TELL US ABOUT THE BLUETOOTH . SOUNDS INTERESTING

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.