Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I went to start my bike (86 aspencade) after not riding it for about 3 weeks and the battery was completely dead. I turned the key on and nothing. So i know i have a few issues i need to check, battery, stator and components. But I was also wondering if it could be as simple as something drawing from the battery while the bike is off. Is this possible? How would I check for that. Thanks for the help.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

To do that you would remove everything bolted to the positive terminal of your battery. Then you would tie all those things together. Next you would insert a milliamp meter between the positive battery terminal and the bundle of removed connections with the key off and removed. DO NOT START THE BIKE OR HAVE THE KEY ON or you can damage your amp meter.

The reading in milliamps should be 5 ma or less. If it is more you need to go leakage hunting. If it is 5 or less you need to replace your battery.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

"something drawing from the battery while the bike is off. Is this possible? "

When using a trickle charger on my 1200 Aspencade, it never reaches fully charged ( unlike my other bikes ). I attribute this to the Aspencades digital clock continually drawing power.

I may be wrong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.