Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is there a way to test the functionality of the low fuel warning light without draining the tank?

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
Is there a way to test the functionality of the low fuel warning light without draining the tank?
Hey philcsand :waving: Yes. :clapper: Just let the tank run low and if the light comes on, then you know it's working. :stumped:

:crying::18red::crying:

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

I'm sure there is a test but i don't know what it is. Here is how i would do it. Take off the seat. On the top of the tank is the fuel sender. Twist the little keeper ring until it is removable then lift out the sending unit. Moving it up and down you should be able to tell how accurate your gauge is and see about where the light comes on.

BTW don't smoke of do anything to create any type of ignition source for the now open can of gas.

Pat

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I guess if you were worried about whether it works or not, run it until it comes on.... mine usually has about 1 gallon left when it comes on. If your not sure, you might carry a gallon of fuel to add if it goes empty.:12blue:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Ok, I figured out how to test it.

Pull the plug off of the sender unit, and short the green wire to the blue / white. The fuel light will come on. If you short to the other one from ground, your fuel gauge will rise up.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Okay Phil, now you know it works, now you have to find out how much fuel is left when it comes on. I think the easiest way is to siphon out the gas in to a jug until the light comes on. If you start from a full tank you'd then know how much fuel was left when the light lit!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

or, when the light comes on go to a gas station and see how much it takes to fill it up. mine seems to have just over 1 gallon when the light comes on

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

With a gallon can in the Trunk, I ran mine from fulluntil the light came on, 205UK miles. Then ran until the engine died which was a further 19 miles, it's nice to know your bike can exceed 200 miles on a tankful and still have a 19 mile reserve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.