Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've done a forum search and can't seem to come up with what I'm looking for. I have an '86 GL1200 Aspencade and have a question regarding checking the oil level. The OM says to have the bike level on center stand, run it a couple of minutes to warm up the oil and then check it. I don't believe it says anything about waiting to check the oil by letting it settle again so here goes my question...

I keep getting different readings on the dip stick. It can be anywhere from above the high line, to between the hash marks to just slightly low on oil. This may even show up in random order when checking several times in succession. It can also be different levels on the two sides of the dip stick. What am I doing wrong and is there a technique to insure that I get an accurate reading each time I check the oil? Thanks in advance guys/dolls!:waving:

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

The oil level should be checked with the engine warm. Best is to check about 5 minutes after shuting it off after a ride. On level ground, center stand and the dip stick is set down on the threads and not screwed in. Be careful to make sure the stick is at the correct angle, if it is too verticle it will read high. I always set the flat pointing front to back so it reads correctly on the low side.(facing you)

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

drain all the oil out incuding the filter. replace filter. measure correct amount of oil and refill. start engine let warm up. shut engine off let engine cool. check dip stick, what ever it reads is your full mark. regards walkabout :smiler:

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Remember you want the oil level to be about half way between the hash marks with the dipstick not screwed in, and the oil nice and warm, but sitting for at least five minutes after shutdown.
If you fill it all the way to the full mark you are probably going to be burning it off in embarrassing blue smoke at start ups.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for all the insights gang! It's really appreciated and I've learned a bit in the process. I'll take everyone's advice under consideration and eventually get this simple (yet critical) task in hand.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Tricky so much. I have the OM and have followed the steps religiously. Seems a few posters indicate that I should wait a bit between Steps 2 & 3 before reading the dip stick so I'll try that too. Also, much thanks for the GL1200 specific link. Looks interesting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.