Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ifthe weatherwarms up a bit over the weekend, I may just hitch up the trailer and go take a look at on old '82 that someone is trying to get rid of.

I have only seen a photograph, and it clearly has not run for years.

My own '82 runs just fine. The idea is that this would be a project bike - either to restore or to salvage parts off of.

What should I be looking out for and at what point should I walk away. I think the engine may be siezed.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Take a battery with you and pop it in, then check the radio system. The complete Clarion 2 system with cb will sell for 400us easily on Ebay.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Look for mice......then you know that the TYPE II Clarion is suspect.

If the tank is rusty, that is a big job.

It's a plus if the plastics are mint condition.

Post the picture; you get more advice.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
Look for mice......then you know that the TYPE II Clarion is suspect.
So mice don't like functioning Clarion type II or what?:cheeky1::cheeky1:

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will spend the gas to go take a look at it at least - if it warms up a bit that is!!

Thanks again..............

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
imported post

Wouldn't that be something if you bought it for next to nothing, installed a battery then drove it off? Kodak moment look on the Po's face.. :)Happened to me last year, when I got rid of an troublesome Buick. Guy I work with bought it for $80.00 thenfixed it for $200.00,he'snowselling it for $1000.00:p

If you can get the bike cheap enough, go for it.. You never know.. HAHA

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

My 80 year old neighbor had a 1980 Honda in the garage, sat since 1984. Did just that to the new owner, started with a new battery.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

My 80 year old neighbor had a 1980 Honda in the garage, sat since 1984. Did just that to the new owner, started with a new battery.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Well I went and did it.

Didn't pay much, but probably still too much. She is in rough shape. Dosen't appear to have been dropped, just left to rot for the past 14 years. Mufflers are mostly rusted away. I haven't got it off the trailer yet so I haven't really assessed the condition.

So now I can play mechanic and ride my bike at the same time - sort of.

I suspect I will be spending more time on the technical forum.

Here's a pic. Note my nifty 2X4 hinged brace. Held her rock solid all the way home - with the added insurance of the usual tie-downs of course!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

From the pic, the plastics don't look to bad.......but next pic how about cleaning all the specs off your camera lense.........:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Congrats on the new project!!!:clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Update Update update!!

I reckon from the paperwork that she had sat for the past 14 to 15 years.

Cleaned the carbs - Ugh! Changed the oil and filter and some other bits and pieces.

She runs!!

Sounds like a Harley as the headers and mufflers are shot. The brakes are also shot so we arn't riding anywhere just yet!! At least I know that I have something to work with. I'm thinking of taking the box and side cases off as they are kinda rough.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

Can you make it a standard (Nekked Wing) That would look nice. Congratulations.

·
Premium Member
62,895 Posts
imported post

I'm sure inquiring mines would like to know, at less me.. What was the final price ?? That tells the tell..

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Well if you decide to take the boxes off. I would be interested in the passenger back rest pad off the trunk depending on it's condition. Actually it's the metal base plate for it that I'm mostly after. Mine is rusted to hell.

I have a set of faring mirrors I'd be willing to trade for it. Kinda looks like it needs a set. I also have the rear tail light and turn signal assembly you would need if you decided to dump the rear boxes. Pm me to discuss.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

nightwizard40 wrote:
From the pic, the plastics don't look to bad.......but next pic how about cleaning all the specs off your camera lense.........:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
Them ain't specs... Those are snowflakes being lit by the flash. Of course down here in central Texas, we don't have to worry about that...

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
imported post

Snowflakes? I thought it was dog dander :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Foodman wrote:
I'm sure inquiring mines would like to know, at less me.. What was the final price ?? That tells the tell..
$450 Canadian.

That's about $350 US.

·
Premium Member
62,895 Posts
imported post

Hell of a deal...............
Should be fun to tinker with..........

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Foodman wrote:
Hell of a deal...............
Should be fun to tinker with..........
It was a shot in the dark - literally. It was in the back of this guy's shed - squished in between a camper and the wall. He held up a flashlight while I climbed over it and assessed it by feel - I stuck my finger through the headers - they're shot. No road rash on the crashbars - that's good. Not the best way to assess a new purchase.

I figure that by the time I have new headers, new mufflers, new brake pads (maybe brake cylinders) seal kits, new battery box, new battery, new filters, maybe new fork seals, and a new water pump, I will be ready to paint her. I should be up to the two grand mark or maybe more. At least I will know what has gone into it and will have learned more about the bike I am riding.

Heck, there is nothing I love more than sitting out in my garage wondering what I am going to do next!! Heaven!!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

That price sounds very good to me Maple!!:clapper:

Even if you decided not to bother restoring her, you wouldn't have to sell too many $10 parts to recoup your money and then everything from there would be a bonus.

The fact that you have managed to get the bike running though, suggests that she deserves more than just parting out.:)

I for one, look forward to seeing some pics in the gallery, minus the white fluffy stuff!!!:action:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.