Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend got rear ended, says the saddle bags are moved forward. Says no one will work on it. Asked me to look at it for an ‘estimate’. I’m thinking it’s a ‘total’. But give me a list to check for, in case you think of something I don’t.

rear frame, exhaust, all plastic (used it’s still expensive).

·
Pwhoever
3,118 Posts
I had the same type of accident maybe over 10 years ago when a drunk hit me while driving down the Dan Ryan Expressway. It was a hit and run. I ended up still being able to drive it to chase him down until he crashed his car and arresting him.

But my original point is, I had it inspected by my insurance company and decided to have them cut me a check for the damages. I then sourced out trike take off saddlebags and purchased a new saddlebag stay to remount everything. I did the labor myself and saved quite a bit from the check. It took awhile because of all the wiring and various mounts but came out just fine. I absolutely recommend a brand new saddlebag stay as it is thinner gauge metal and easily tweaked. Buying a used one is a gamble because it's very difficult to make sure you get one in perfect shape. I found no evidence that the main frame or drivetrain suffered any damage. I think that is why the saddlebag stay is designed that way to absorb the shock. As far as saddlebags, when ordered as OEM, they do not come assembled and you must order all the individual parts and assemble it. Just one saddlebag came in well north of $1000. And that also assumes that all the individual pieces are now still available for a bike that is now at least 20 years old or older. That was another reason I decided to go with trike takeoffs as the price was considerably less and already assembled. I drove it for many issue free miles after that until it was replaced by an 1800.

·
Administrator
25,735 Posts
Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m not even sure if he rode it home, going by Monday to look. I had looked on eBay just for a starting point, and found some pretty high prices, swaying my ‘totaled’ terminology above. Pwhoever-good one on the trike take off. I’ll call Vern’s trike’s in Blooming Prairie for research.

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
With current market prices, another GL1500 might be a better alternative.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It still rides !!! The rear subframe is bent, the saddlebags are shot, they don’t open or close correctly. I’m going to check some trike shops tomorrow. Very surprised that a trailer hitch took most of it. Bent the crash bars for saddlebags (that’s what the hitch mounts too).

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
It still rides !!! The rear subframe is bent, the saddlebags are shot, they don’t open or close correctly. I’m going to check some trike shops tomorrow. Very surprised that a trailer hitch took most of it. Bent the crash bars for saddlebags (that’s what the hitch mounts too).
What part of the world?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We’ve contacted a trike shop here in Minn-ah-snow-ta that can get use all the rear stuff for 300.00 shop was closing down for the rest of the week, when I called, so we will wait until next week to see what colors they have available. Owner says painting is an option to make it look right. He would like to repair it and keep it. On insurances dime, if possible. Insurance company is the issue. Fickle thing those companies.

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
look at his signature: Willow River, MN, USA
His, but I wondered about friend's. Maybe he was doing estimate via photos?

But OK. I have some of needed stuff, but it's too far to ship to make worthwhile as far as I can see. I was just thinking out loud.

:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts