Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have dilligently followed the manufactures procedure for checking the oil level on my GL1500. I have a possible dumb question.

After I check my oil level the "proper" way, I have checked it multiple times right afterwards by screwing in the dipstick all the way. Amazingly, it now comes to the top of the second mark.

So my question - why not just check it with the dipstick screwed in all the way like we do with our cars? Does it really make any difference when we know where the level should be when it is screwed in ?

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
As long as you know where it is there is nothing wrong with that.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Well, I guess you could look at that two different ways... If the manufacturers manual :readit: says to check the level by just placing the dipstick back in the crankcase, why would you be concerned what it read when screwed all the way in ??? :?

Les

·
Pwhoever
3,342 Posts
I am not quite sure what you are talking about on the second mark. Are you talking about the mark across the middle of the flat part or the top of the flat part? That line in the middle of the flat part is the full mark. The oil level should be somewhere between the bottom of the dipstick and the middle line. Just like in this picture by FitzAl in THIS THREAD:

If it is only reaching that mark after screwing in the dipstick all the way then you are slightly underfilled. Now if it is going all the way to the top of that flat part when screwing all the way in then it is probably about right. For years I was filling the oil to the top of the flat part on the dipstick but thanks to this forum, I no longer overfill...

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The picture you show is where my level is when I don't screw it in. When I do screw it all the way in, it at the top of the flat areas, so I guess it is ok then.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
The picture you show is where my level is when I don't screw it in..
That's correct, as found in the thread pwhoever linked to which I suggest reading.
Resting the dipstick on the hole is not only the right way to check the oil, it's quicker than screwing it in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.