Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I tried checking my oil today using that rediculous sight glass setup Honda decided to provide on the 1100 engine. They definitely should have installed a dipstick. Anyway, I have my bike on the center stand and used the wiper doohickey. I still can't determine my oil level. Now I am temped to just drain it all and refill so I am certain of the level. Pretty chinsy setup in my opinion. Any advice on viewing this window?

·
Administrator
26,939 Posts
imported post

If the oil is overfull you won't be able to see it. Good idea to change the oil and fill it slowly while watching the sight glass.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Put it on the side stand and see if you can then see the oil level... if the level reappears, at least you can see where you are... and if you have no leaks, it is not seriously high, although between the two lines while on the centerstand is, of course, the correct level..

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

I recommend you install a dipstick kit. You can get one at JC Whitney at this link. I have one on my Gl1100, and it works very well. I added my oil one quart at a time on the center stand, and filed a nick into the stick at each quart. Now I know exactly how much oil is in my engine.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Motorcycle-Oil-Filler-Caps-Dip-Sticks/600014612.jcw

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

mdbauer1962 wrote:
I recommend you install a dipstick kit. You can get one at JC Whitney at this link. I have one on my Gl1100, and it works very well. I added my oil one quart at a time on the center stand, and filed a nick into the stick at each quart. Now I know exactly how much oil is in my engine.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Motorcycle-Oil-Filler-Caps-Dip-Sticks/600014612.jcw
Ditto on the dipstick kit from J C Whitney, I love mine.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

some guys get carried away with the detail polish.,,,

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

My little 650 V Star also has a site glass for checking oil level, so I know what you are going through.

I have used a mirror attached to a pole and checked it while sitting on the bike with it upright and level. Not an easy thing to do in my opinion....especially on a Goldwing!

I usually get my wife to sit on the Star and get down on my hands and knees to check it.

Don't you love the engineers that come up with site glasses?:X

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Use a flashlight it may enlighten you!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.