Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Is that where the big boulder slid down onto the road from the house yard above as seen on the weather channel?

·
Premium Member
12,869 Posts
Thanks for that update . I was concerned it may have black ice . Now
i can strike it from the weekend plans.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Man that sucks big time....But mother nature does what she wants...Here we have had roads do that from excessive rain, but not on this scale...At my parents home, on this dirt county road there were these two 18in metal culverts under the road..We went up to visit, aka help bring in the crops my folks had planted, two huge three acre gardens!!!..I took a week vacation..

Things went well for a couple of days then these storm clouds rolled in...Not thinking about getting a flood instead of just a heavy rain...It came a toad choker, washed those two culverts out into this pasture, the place it washed out was over 8 ft across, the other end of that road, many years ago was an old wooden bridge that had washed out, no one lived back there....So for over two weeks till the county got out there filled in this over now six ft deep and 8 ft wide hole, put those culverts back in place, we were stranded.!!.

A relative of ours brought his old truck up parked it to where we could walk upon the hill next to the house, and cross over that drainage ditch where it was shallow to get into town for groceries... Two years later it done it again..Mom and dad moved into this very nice double-wide mobile home, my brother bought on the "other side" of that ditch...

Since that time there were these "City Slickers" that bought this land, five acres plots, back down that dirt road, to build their "retirement homes", be "farmers" and "ranchers"...It only took One wash out to have those folks complaining so much, that the county came out put in a new bridge to replace that wooden one that had washed out 40 something years ago, build a concrete bridge where those 18in culverts were and paved that dirt road..Now there are about 20 something new $200 thou plus homes back there.????.

·
Premium Member
67,802 Posts
That's almost as bad as our Hwy 1 along the coast.. No opening date here....

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I'm sure it will be open for the spring riding season.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I'm sure it will be open for the spring riding season.
Not too sure about that. Sometimes jobs like this take longer than initially imagined.
You have a 1000 foot high loose fill slope in which there needs to be designed some sort of retaining structure before it can be filled and finally paved.
That may take some engineering/design time.
Just saying if this was in your Summer plans, might want to get a alternate just-in-case.
Spent a lot of time in a previous life with a state DOT and know firsthand some of the obstacles that can pop up.
Hope all goes as planned and it's open in a few, just wouldn't want to make concrete plans on that assumption.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
That is ashame, road that stretch of 441 up through there last spring and that is one great ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.