Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm sure most of you remember the show CHiPs. There was an episode where A guy had purchased a motorcycle. And was on the freeway with and was just flat out WOT flying.

Ponch and John had to catch up with him and one or the other of them had to actually flip the guy's kill switch and guide his bike to the side of the road because the dude was frozen. Just paralyzed by fear.

He was completely out of it. Not aware of much of anything. Once they got him stopped he got off the bike and walked away from it, refused to have anything to do with it. just abandoned it there on the side of the road.

What I'm wondering is, if anyone knows of a situation like that actually occurring in real life. Not necessarily exactly like that but the whole frozen by fear thing.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Nice ploy to get out of a ticket......

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Man I did love that show............great TV.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I've seen scared people on Youtube ride into a (tree, car, etc). But remain WOT on the freeway? Doubt it truly is possible.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

I used to have a very nice .2 mile oval dirt track with a tt course inside it in my back yard. I built my son a 6 hp. gokart. It went pretty well. One of the boys on my son's little league team wanted to try out the cart. His dad brought him over and we gave him all of the instructions as to the operation of the gas pedal, brakes, kill switch, etc. He went through the motions with the engine off and followed our instructions to the T. He was a smart kid and had driven a gokart before. He was 10 years old.When we started the cart he floored it and did not lift his foot for what seemed like 7or 8 laps.He was totally out of control and left the track and got airborne more than once. When he would pass us we were yelling at himand finally got him to hit the kill switch. When he finally stopped his foot was still tight to the floor on the gas, he was white faced and very scared.He did not come back and we stopped offering rides to kids on my son's cart.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
Ponch and John had to catch up with him and one or the other of them had to actually flip the guy's kill switch and guide his bike to the side of the road because the dude was frozen. Just paralyzed by fear.

Yes, I saw a couple on a wing guide another couple on awing to the side of the road. The rider was not frozen by fear but, he had a stroke. His wife was screaming on the CB for someone to catch up to them and get them shut down. SCARY stituation. All turned out fine and he made a near complete recovery. Real good thing that they both weren't pulling trailers at the time.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

I can't say that I remember that episode. I do remember one where the bad guys had invented a sidecar rig that would lean in tandem with the bike, making it extremely maneuverable. They had no money to produce it, so they robbed houses to come up with the money, and used traffic jams to get away. I only have a few questions.

1. Does anyone remember this one?
2. It seemed to work really well. Why it was never copied or produced?
3. What kind of bikes did Ponch and John ride? My memory, which is not as good as it used to be, tells me a 6cyl Kawasaki.
4. Does anyone think I might have watched a little too much T-V when I was a kid?

Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

hoodad463 wrote:
3. What kind of bikes did Ponch and John ride? My memory, which is not as good as it used to be, tells me a 6cyl Kawasaki.
Just wondering.
I think it was a Kaw 1000 4 cyclinder , but heck i cant remember what I did yesterday .:ROFL:

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

When I was a kid of about 14, had my 150 dream at the time and a guy I knew got a 305 Yamaha, one bad bike at the time. We were cutting up in an old church yard and this guy popped the clutch on the Yamaha and went spinning wildly across the yard and the road and into the ditch on the other side, he had frozen the throttle.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

In seasons 1 and 2 they rode Kawasaki KZ900-P's. From season three on they rode KZ1000-P's

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Both the KZ's the 900 or the 1000 were also known as "cop killers"...There used to be a Kawasaki dealer, not too far from the Honda, Suzuki, Moto Guzzi dealer that my wife worked at...One day he had several KZ's setting out front of his shop, all of them had the "CHIPS" decals on the tank...He had bought 6 of them...I asked if I could ride one and did...Even with me riding a GS-1000 Suzuki, those KZ's were way to froggy for my liking...Seems Kawasaki "Souped" those 1000 up and I may stand corrected on this, but I believe the frames were two or three inches shorter???...

Seems that back in the early to mid 70's CHIPS did buy not only the KZ;s but some V-1000 Moto Guzzi's, the automatic's...The officers hated them and wouldn't ride those Moto Guzzi's so CHIPS went back to Harley's....Then some CHIPS officers went to riding the Gold Wings....My wife's V-1000 Moto Guzzi was a former CHIPS bike, still had stickers on it and only had less that 500 miles on it when Roger, the son of the dealer my wife worked for, bought it....He stripped it down put all Califa Bags fairing, painted it metallic blue, before we bought it....

I liked that show but did one notice that they rode side by side???/...Bikes were on a trailer... I'm not sure either one of them actually rode, but it didn't matter, they always got the "bad guys"....

BTW there is a former Houston Police motorcycle officer, still owns and rides his KZ-1000 to the Mall...That old bike still has the out line of the HPD stickers on the tank....Runs like a top....

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

They did use a trailer for some of the scenes, mostly the ones where they were talking to each other and close ups. However they both did actually ride. In fact Erik Estrada actually owns on the of the KZ1000-P's used in the show.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

Funny to hear so many positive reviews of "Chips". Most of the troopers I worked with as well as myself, thought the show was pretty aweful. Ponch's attitude sucked big time and every car that wrecked seemed to go airborn, flip, roll, explode, jam up 5 lanes of traffic, and cause a TT to wreck often depositing barrells or pipe all over the highway.

Many "normal people" used the show as a reason to NOT want to wear seat belts or restraints because they were afraid of fire. :?At least, that was what they told us.

A much better show was "Highway Patrol" with Broderick Crawford.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.