Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 82 gl 1100 that has started having Chirping sound coming from what I believe to be the engine. It happens at around 40mph and upand in 4th and 5th gear. It's not consistent and will be every 5 seconds on some rides and not present other times. Most times out on bike are 35 mile trips. Where do I start?

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

does it run any different... sounds on a bike can be coming from anywhere, just may sound like its coming from engine. I would first check the tack cable where it connects to the fuel pump. then put the bike on center stand and and turn front and back wheels to make sure none of your brakes are not dragging. Maybe some part of the drive shaft? would check simple things first.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

+1 to notodd for checking the simple things first. Another trick that I learned on this forum is to take a dowel rod and place one end on the engine and put your ear on the other. harbor freight also has a mechanics stethoscope for $3.99 that does the same thing. This can help in finding exactly where the chirping sound is coming from if it's there constantly (ie. only gets louder at speed). Don't try that going down the road though. It would be a little dangerous, LOL. If the chirping doesn't happen when at idle or lower speeds then it might be something with the wheels or other parts that only move when going down the road. You could have a buddy try to listen to it as you were riding down the road next to them, but in my experience that hasn't really helped much.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

it reminded me of a truck I had that had a damper pully go bad (toyota). I have put about 130 miles on since yesterday and have only heard it once. yet before if was about every 5 seconds on way to and from work. Only differance is that it was about 10 degrees warmer today. both in mostouire. Was worried about barrings or timing. it sat a long time (by original owner) only had 16k 3 yr ago, before I got it on rode. Seals all seam good, didn't know about timing belts. Other than that it runs better then the new bikes that I have rode with.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

I'd bet it's a timing belt tensioner pulley. And it sounds like it's time to replace those timing belts anyway.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

2X for the timing belt pulley. Replace the belts at the same time. Look up on the forum about rebuilding them. It has been done successfully.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

I know EXACTLY what it is, (I think), speedo-cable.
change it, if you lube it, the sound will go away, but will eventually come back.
I had the same sound, "chirping" around 35 or 40

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

also , just to make sure, remove the connection to the cable, then drive it and see if it still makes the noise.
if there is no noise, then it is the cable for sure.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I think I will check on the belts, still runs great. I didn't think of the cable. I had 81 xs yama. that made very similar noise and it was the spd. cable. Forgot because I just rode without it.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Glad you don't have fuel injection. I also had a chirping sound coming from my engine, at all speeds and at idle in neutral. It even did it when not running, by turning it over with the starter. It turned out to be a major problem with the fuel injection involving parts that are no longer available. At least yours can't be that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.