Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Having had a 1100, and 2 1200, i totally changed last year and book a suzuki bandit, just to see what it' was like. Although a great bike, very light, quick and for the same price as my 1984 1200, i bought brand new. But now am being drawn back and have started to look at Goldwing's again, wanting comfort and character ( not really the weight though ) Would like a 1500, and have seen some round the price i could stretch too.

1989 with 84000km, 1993 se with 120000km. Both about the same price € 7500. My question is ; would it be better to go for an older model with less milage or get a slightly newer model with more milage ? I don't really know anything about the 1500 so any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks James

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

I'd go with the SE but at that price plus another 1500€ you could buy a real nice BLUE 1996 1500 SE with only 23000 miles on it:cool:

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

cbltech59 wrote:
I'd go with the SE but at that price plus another 1500€ you could buy a real nice BLUE 1996 1500 SE with only 23000 miles on it:cool:
That'll be yours then ??

I have to agree get the SE better spec and better re-sale value (IF you ever want to sell it ) and 120,000km ( is that about 70,000 miles?) isfine as far as mileage goes especially if its been looked after and it probably has

Eric

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

midwing wrote:
cbltech59 wrote:
That'll be yours then ??

I have to agree get the SE better spec and better re-sale value (IF you ever want to sell it ) and 120,000km ( is that about 70,000 miles?) isfine as far as mileage goes especially if its been looked after and it probably has

Eric
Yep, it's my Bike.....and in my opinion a better buy than a @93 with 70,000 miles, but yeah, either way go with the SE, you won't regret it

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

A '93 has some improvements over the earlier bike, roller bearings in the rocker shafts for example. The first couple years of the 1500 had some differences that made parts for them different than later years. A '93's parts are mostly all interchangeable with all the later 1500s with a few exceptions in the transmissions of the last couple years. Nothing at all wrong with the '88-90 either for that matter but if it came to a choice between the two and their condition was similar except for mileage I'd go for the '93.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks very much for the replies, really helpful with the choice. Thanks dbltech 59 your bike sounds great but as your are in Ireland and i live in France, it makes it abit complicated. My choice was more for the 93 se anyway, just got to check them out and strike a deal.
Was still abit worried about the weight, last few times with the 1200 seemed such a struggle on and off center stand and general very slow moves, perhaps just getting older and weaker. With all the aside i am sure it's the bike for me !!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

Once you can get your feet on the ground the weight shouldn't be a problem butyou can always lower the seat by getting an upholster to remove some of the padding. I find the GL1500 really well balanced and handles really well for a big'un.

Good luck whichever one you choose :)

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Everyone should have a heavyweight/medweight/lightweight bike

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Went to look at a 1500 the other day, after riding my 650 bandit for a year, the Goldwing now seems absolutly huge. Having second thoughts if it's just too big or should i just go for something abit smaller, it's just i really miss the confort, character and of course the music of the Wing.
Decisions, decisions............

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

The 1500SE is a touring bike. If you like to get out of the city & ride all day, or even ride muliple days, then you will appreciate the big touring bike.

If you like to ride only 50-100 miles in a day, with traffic,maybe a smaller bike would suit you better. A good helmet & an IPOD will get your music.

If you always ride solo, but want more cc's, there are many more lightweight options.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Hey with all that info, goldwings are very heavy, expensive and huge, but i still really like them. Why is it i still really want one, just abit worried still about putting it on and off the center stand, don't want any back problems!
Can you not just leave it on the side stand all the time ?

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

I leave my 1800 on the side stand most of the time, there is a technique to getting it on the center stand and once you have mastered that you should not have a probelm 15 or 18

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

:action::2finger:Yeah, Wexy is a midget and he pulls wings around all day no problem.!:action:

There is a knack to it but once you get it, it's easy.

I'd still go the 1500 though.:15blue:

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

That SE is barely broken in at 120kms. Don't worry about the size. Ride it for a while and you will forget how big the bike is. Ride it for 10 to 12 hours in a stretch and you fully appreciate the comfort.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

My 1500SE stays on the sidestand all the time, unless being stored for a season, which is not likely. :)

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks for that, it's alot more reassuring to know about leaving it on the side stand and how big the bike is, plus km distance. It has made me feel more confident about my choice of bike, don't know feel so apprehensive, have had 3 Goldwings in the past and loved all of them, think it's because have ridden my present bandit last year which in comparison is tiny and half the weight.
My wife can't understand why i am looking at a Gikdwing again !
But i've never had a 1500 and feel as though getting more and more impatient to get one. I hope !!!!

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Sorry about spelling mistakes was in abit of a rush as the doorbell had gone.
My final problem is i still haven't sold my Bandit. I'm getting very tempted to get the Goldwing and try and sell the other after, abit worried might be stuck with 2 bikes, can't really afford 2.
Goldwing isn't near by, about 500km away. Contacted the shop and they said would deliver ( they are selling for a customer ).
What happens if it arrives and i don't like it, not as good a condition as thought etc; Can you refuse ? Or do you have to pay up front as they are delivering etc; have never bought this way before, if i do ?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,650 Posts
imported post

Well, get on Bandit and go look at that Goldwing. Then say to the man, hey look at Bandit, can we work a trade? If it works, you ride home on your Goldwing and they sell the Bandit :)

Life only comes around once. :grinner:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.