Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 84 Goldwing Interstate, and while I was running it mid-winter, I think I might have snapped the choke (cable?). I stays open (only revs at least 3000) and doesn't seem to have any play. Put another way, it won't go back to closed position.
Quick question before I go tearing anything apart (I don't ride the thing in the winter), is this something that typically goes after a while and a part that can easily be ordered, or am I looking at just trying to adjust it? Has anyone here ordered a new choke and put it on? Is the part cheap? Is it an easy job? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Patrick

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

are you sure the cable is broke, the handle slides forward and puts pressure on the choke lever. mine was loose just a tad and when i pushed it all together and retightend, it worked fine. but if you don't have any resistance on the lever you may have to replace the cable. the carbs are not that difficult to remove.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks. I'll look into tightening up the cable. But it seems the opposite of looseness, the thing is stuck wide open. I probably was pushing to hard trying to get the engine to turnover.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

the choke is normally open. It closes when you move the lever.When you move the lever ,look at the carb to see if it moves,I believe there is some adjustment to take up the slack if your not getting enough movement.,,

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I had a suspicion that I had it backwards. So it's staying closed or choked, not in its normal rest position. Thanks for helping me at least get my wording right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.