Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So now that it's getting regularly cold of a morning, I've noticed a little glitch with my bike. It fires up on the first try, every try, but if it's the first start of the day I have to keep the revs up for about a minute or so, otherwise it just dies out.

First electrical gremlins and now this. This old girl just don't dig the cold man. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you have some vacuum and or air hoses that are leaking.

Cold will have an effect to minor degree, but stalling it should not. Mine does good so far in the cold.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
imported post

Your's is the first "cold blooded" Fuelie I've heard off! :shock:I've cranked mine in temps as cold as 32f and the only thing I do different is roll the throttle a bit to give her more fuel to work with while cranking... When the engine fires I release the throttle and allow the bike to go through it's normal warm up sequence: The CFI Computer raising the idle from 1000rpm to about 1250rpm for a minute or so and then back to 1000rpm + 50rpm..

Is this what your bike was doing before it started getting colder?? And was the idle set @ 1000rpm + 50rpm?? That'll make a difference right there!!

Let us know what you find!!

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

:?How do I set the idle? It's always started up and held at about 900-1000 for a little bit, then drops to 700-800. What it's doing now, again only when it's cold, is starting up (nice and quick I might add), then the idle creeps down to about 500 and it dies. I only have to hold the revs up for about a minute, like I said, and then it levels out at 700-800 and all is dandy. It's not like it's imposable to live with, my carburated shadow was a lot worse, but like you, this is first time I've heard of a cold blooded fuelie, so I want to make sure nothing's wrong.

·
Administrator
26,541 Posts
imported post

It is probably the idle air control valve, or whatever they call it on those. It is not opening up to boost the idle when cold. It could have been blocked off by someone if it was causing problems previously.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Bugger. That's not what I wanted to hear. I'll have to check the book and see how this injection system handles said part. Although, wouldn't an idle air control valve cause problems at other times too?

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:
:?How do I set the idle? It's always started up and held at about 900-1000 for a little bit, then drops to 700-800. What it's doing now, again only when it's cold, is starting up (nice and quick I might add), then the idle creeps down to about 500 and it dies. I only have to hold the revs up for about a minute, like I said, and then it levels out at 700-800 and all is dandy. It's not like it's imposable to live with, my carburated shadow was a lot worse, but like you, this is first time I've heard of a cold blooded fuelie, so I want to make sure nothing's wrong.
AHA!!!!!! Now we're getting somewhere!! To raise the idle crank the bike and let her warm up to about 3-4 bars. Take a flashlight and, from the right side of the engine, trace the throttle linkage to the center of the rear of the engine and you'll see the idle set screw. If you need to, turn the bike off, and roll the throttle a bit so you can trace the linkage. With the bike cranked and warmed up, raise theidle to 1000rpm + 50rpm.

I'm hoping this will solve yer problem.....

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:
Bugger. That's not what I wanted to hear. I'll have to check the book and see how this injection system handles said part. Although, wouldn't an idle air control valve cause problems at other times too?
Do me a favor and try what I posted first as it sounds like the system is performing correctly, just at a lower idle setting.....

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Do me a favor and try what I posted first as it sounds like the system is performing correctly, just at a lower idle setting.....
Oh trust me, I'm way to lazy to not try the easy stuff first :ROFL:. I'm goin' out to adjust the idle now, I'll report back after I see what it does in the morning.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

i'd also check for air temp sensor and connection at the air cleaner

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

:applause::applause::bow::bow:

That did the trick. Fired 'er up this morning and she started at 900, climbed to 1150-ish, about 10 minutes into the ride it dropped down to 1000-ish and all was well. Another potential long weekend avoided.

I should learn to never doubt my bike, now if I could just figure out my electrical issues :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

By chance (because it came with the bike) I actually have that book. But I don't see anything in there about intermittent displays only below 50 degrees. But it's ok, I'll figure it out... eventually.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.