Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 84 Apencade's choke lever won't stay at the level I set it. Is there a way to set the friction on the choke lever so it staysset? thanks Randy

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

OOPS, didn't notice your bike was an '84 with the thumb lever. Could still be stiff operating choke shafts though.

There's a plastic nut below the rubber seal just under the knob that's supposed to increase the friction on the choke if you turn it CW. If that doesn't do it take a close look at the choke shafts. I had an 1100 that had a choke that acted the same way. A close look at the carbs showed that one pair of carbs had frozen choke shafts that weren't really turning. The linkage to the carbs is not direct, it's spring loaded so even if the choke shaft is stuck the choke knob will pull up but won't want to stay. A bit of lube and some excercise will free the shafts up nicely if that's the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

hockeydad33 wrote:
My 84 Apencade's choke lever won't stay at the level I set it. Is there a way to set the friction on the choke lever so it staysset? thanks Randy
You could try tightening it on the carburator where it hooks to the plastic/cable, but not to thght. If you have a tension adjuster, tighten it clockwise until the desired setting is correct. I don't know anything about q 1500, But thats what I do on my 1980 GL1100. Right now, Mine will not budge, and I am going to have to take it off and lube it. I was adjusting the freeplay at the carbs/choke cable, and I got the setting correct, but now, I cannot pull it out up top. I went from bad to worse on that one.

Good Luck,

Nightrider1

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.