Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1984 GL1200 I
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 1984 GL1200 Interstate. Previous owner cut off both sides of the harness, and now I'm stumped. I understand that the stator should put out 4-5 volts per wire, but does it matter which wire connects to which when I solder and shrink-wrap? If this has been answered, I'm sorry. I couldn't find a thread that covered this. Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
28,071 Posts
The stator should put out 50 volts or so per pair of wires, doesn't matter which yellow to which, which green to which green, which red to which red, only one black.

Reactions: jaymillikan

·
Registered
1984 GL1200 I
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! I was freaking out about this. Sorry if I got the voltage off, was watching a stator check video and they said 4-5 volts per yellow wire was normal. I might have not heard correctly.

I know that 3 wire connector is a source of trouble, I just didn't want to make a bad situation worse!

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
758 Posts
You have to measure the AC voltage, Sounds like what you read or heard was a DC measurement. Not the proper way.
Also the wires have to be disconnected for the measurement. It does not matter which wire goes where when you put it back together. Just be VERY careful not to short any wires together while testing. 50-70 volt AC.
and double up the heat shrink on each wire.

·
Registered
1984 GL1200 I
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have to measure the AC voltage, Sounds like what you read or heard was a DC measurement. Not the proper way.
Also the wires have to be disconnected for the measurement. It does not matter which wire goes where when you put it back together. Just be VERY careful not to short any wires together while testing. 50-70 volt AC.
and double up the heat shrink on each wire.
Can't thank you guys enough! I will get this fixed ASAP. They were twisted together (all 3) so hopefully it wasn't started like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts