Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Sears has a Christmas sale right now. Now I don't need a 200pc set or another big tool box but we all know that Honda tool kits are lacking. I bought a small kit (42 piece) for $30 (regular $80) that was about the same size as a Honda kit; soft zipper pouch with metric and inch sockets, screwdriver with four tips, Allen wrenches and two inch open end wrenches (3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16). I also bought a box of eight metric wrenches for $10 and added the 8, 10, 12, 14mm to this kit along with a Leatherman I already had.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

Good suggestion. Craftsman tools are good quality and as you say, prices are discounted now.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

My 1500 came with atiny tool kit, so I added a ratchet/deep sockets/ extension/wrenches 8-21mm, a ratchet driver with 8 bits, cord/ tape/wire/fuses/bulbs/metric hex wrenches,vise grips, tire plugs, shop manual, etc.

I got sockets & wrenches without the SAE included, so I wouldn't have to lug them around + saves room. Never bought tools from Sears, though.

Now, I'mlearning how to leave the bulky ones home on day rides.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Popeye, if you have never bought craftsman hand tools before you are missing out. They are probably one of the best hand tools available with a lifetie guarantee. very hard to beat. You should try them out. Merry Christmas.

Ritchie

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Wow! :cool:someone say TOOLS, :goofygrin:I am headed over to check it out, I'm a tool junkie.:cooler: If I need a tool for something, I go buy it. Heaven knows if I'll ever need it again, but I do it anyway. Never have too many tools.:badgrin:

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

One thing about Craftsman tools. If one breaks, its a lot easier to find a Sears store than tracking down a Snap On truck!

John

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I have a bunch of Craftsman tools, they really aren't quite as high quality as Snap On or Proto. They were once pretty close in quality but in recent years they've cheapened them up a bit. Still good for the money and they still replace broken hand tools with no questions so it's a good deal.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I noticed that too. I have a main set I bought 40 years ago and they are holding up good. Lots of breaks with Phillips heads and sockets with the newer stuff. They always replace them free, though.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

My first set of tools came from Sears. I was 15 and made enough to buy. My friend whose mother worked for sears could get a discount if she bought them, I didn't say no. It was the large set, I still have that set, along with so many others, but the original set is still working. Don't think I have taken back but two or three items for replacement.:)

There I go again with spelling errors, dang.:(

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I have a bunch of Craftsman tools, they really aren't quite as high quality as Snap On or Proto. They were once pretty close in quality but in recent years they've cheapened them up a bit. Still good for the money and they still replace broken hand tools with no questions so it's a good deal.
I'm with you Paul. Quality ain't what it used to be, but for 1/4 the price of Snap-on/Mac/Proto and the same warranty, you can't beat'em.:)

(On my job, we use Wright and Proto tools. Real professional quality stuff, but $$$!)

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

:(I just recently took a Craftsman Industrial 4 inch angle grinder in for replacement/repair. The gears were stripped so bad, it wouldn't turn the wheel. Only had about 4 hours of intermittent use. No warrenty on "electric" tools past 1 year. Sears tools are NOT what they used to be. This is not the first time they refused to replace/ repair tools in my case. Just passing it on. jimsjinx

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

As far as I know their warranty has always been for hand tools only, not power tools. Pretty much the same with Harbor Freight, the'll replace hand tools that break. Much more important HF has that warranty than Sears.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I never new there was over a year warranty on electric tools, I believe it was only the mechanics tools.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

We have a company called Princess Auto up in Canada with a sign over the door:

No Sale is Final until you're Satisfied!

This is at their site.

Here at Princess Auto our Royal Service Promise states: No Sale is Final until you're Satisfied! If at any time you are unhappy with the quality, performance of one of the items that we offer.

Please contact us and we will work with you to provide a solution. This may include, but not limit to: product repair, exchange and or refund.

Their products might not equal some of the big name suppliers but their service sure does.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.