Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Was riding through Baker on I-15, on a Sunday (NEVER do that - commute like, and off and on stop and go traffic all the way from Vegas to LA) it was a 115 degrees, and all of a sudden I felt the right chrome engine cover pushing on my leg. I grabbed it, it caught the wind and went flying over my head - felt like it would wrench my arm out of it socket, but I held on. If I'd had my feet on the highway pegs it would have been a goner.

My 1800 is an '06, but some of the rubber grommets that hold that high dollar piece of chromed plasticonwere already getting hard from the engine heat and not holding tightly enough. One was split.

Check 'em and replace them if not in good condition or you might get to price check the chrome plastic cover and find out it costs way more than it should.

Buy aftermarket, I bought the grommetsfrom Honda, they get about 3 to 4 bucks a piece for them.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

Good tip!

I notice that one of my grommets, on the right side, was cracked but I figured it would hold up. Going down the road the other day the left cover was bouncing against my leg until I pushed it back into place. It probably has a bad grommet also.

I had no idea that parts like that would be available from an after market vendor. I guess I'll do some looking.

I once was riding in 106 and that's killer. 115 degree! Way Too hot! Maybe the grommets melted.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

I wouldn't have thought it either.Came across them AFTER I dropped about 25 bucks at a dealer. (Scroll Down towards bottom of page on the link below.) By the way, the group shown appear to fit the right side. On the left side there is one long oval that they don't appear to sell - so might have to get that one at a dealer. Look at both covers so you know which ones you need. I think just that one is different - if memory serves. You could buy two sets of these from cyclemax, then buy the one odd ball one from the dealer.

http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/1800_other

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.