Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:waving:My 2nd post. This is great!

I am looking for some information on how to remove the lip at the tips of the OEM exhausts on a 83 GL1100. I have 'slip on' chrome exhaust extensionsThat I would like to install.

I do not want to cut the lip off fearing that the inside of the exhaust will come apart. Can I peen them down with a hammer and just slide the extensions over? Do I simply put metal screws through the holes in the extensions and into the tail pipe or can I silicone them in place? Finally, are there any issues withhavingthem point down or out?

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

Mine were installed by the PO... and look as if they were very  carefully cut off., about 6 inches under the rear bumper (out of sight ).. and then a special , rather neat clamp covers the gap ... which looks  as if it came with the new extensions./forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif.................I have turndown extensions ... and I recommend THAT direction to keep the Rear bumper clean./forums/images/emoticons/confused.gif.. I think a clamp like is on mine  will be better, and neater than screws ... and a LOT better than Silicone  (I think it would make a terrible mess when Mufflers got hot/forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif.). If your extensions came with no clamps.. I would visit a Dealer  ... or (shudder)  a Harley shop./forums/images/emoticons/mad.gif.. I bet they have nice looking chrome clamps in all diameters ... SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

I had to cut the lips off the OEM muffler pipes to put the extensions on. This has caused no ill effects in the last 23 years.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

hey Jackjohn

have you had any problems with rust or anything as a friend says not to install these as they will rust out your pipes in a few years?????????????:baffled::baffled:????

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

The extensions have not been off in 23 years. There is no rust showing at all, not even discoloration. Certainly anything is possible but I live on the Texas coast which boasts humidity in the 90's most of the time. My point of view is that I installed them because I thought they improved the aesthetics of the motorcycle. If the pipes rust after all this time, then that's the way it goes.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info I too like the looks of the turndown pipes and I think I'm going to order a set now

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

If you are buying exhaust turndowns that are made for the gl1100, then you don't have to cut the lip off the pipees. A spacer kit is supplied that allows the wider extensions to slip over the old pipes and clamp in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.