Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of replacing the large plastic, painted front fender on my '82 naked with a chrome one similar to the one on my old GS750. Of course it would have to be wider and perhaps a smaller radius because of the 18" front wheel.

Any thoughts on what would work?

Brian

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
GL1000 front fender will fit that request.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GL1000 front fender will fit that request.
Well there are plenty of those on Ebay for cheap. Is this something you have done or know someone how has done it? Would be nice to see pictures.

To help in the discussion I took some measurements on my '82:

Diameter of front tire 26"
Width of front tire 4 3/8"
Distance between fender mounting bosses on forks 5 5/8"

Brian

·
Administrator
27,952 Posts
I think the CB900 fender would fit but I went with a GL1000 fender because of the length of it and the flare at the rear to protect the radiator from things being flung up by the tire.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Is this something you have done or know someone how has done it?
Brian,

Here is a shot of mine with a GL1000 fender on. It works great and looks even better than that big chuck of plastic! Right now I have the stock fender on, because I am repainting the metal fender, but I want to get the metal fender back on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brian,

Here is a shot of mine with a GL1000 fender on. It works great and looks even better than that big chuck of plastic! Right now I have the stock fender on, because I am repainting the metal fender, but I want to get the metal fender back on.
Looks good. Also it looks like the mounting tabs on the fender bolt right up to the GL1100 forks.

I think I will go with the GL1000 fender. Now I just need to buy one.

Brian

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK today I got the fender I bought on Ebay. It mounts up perfectly with the fender bracket to fork bosses. But the stays cannot align with the bosses on the bottom of the fork because of the brake calipers. How did you guys overcome this?

BTW here is a shot of the bike. (Still looking for a nice wineberry red faux tank to match the side covers)

Thanks
Brian

·
Administrator
27,952 Posts
Something is different about that fender compared to mine, it is further off the tire and my brace came with the ends angled up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.