Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, I spent the money when I was buying my 2008 GL1800 and bought the chrome package. Before you spend time chastizing me and makeing me feel dumb for spending the money at the Honda Dollar Shop, I wasn't aware of this sight or Wingstuff. Now that the lesson of doing that is in the past, my question is this. Does the chrome only come in plastic, or can you get actual chrome pieces. If not and, and here was another learning lesson, how can I buff the dullness out of the plastic chrome pieces I created when using chrome polish. I've already tried Clear Coat Scratch Remover as suggested in an earlier forum. Works great on the clear coat, but not on the plastic chrome.

Thanks,

Glenn

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
imported post

I am not aware of anything that will bring ther shine back. The plastic chrome has a very shallow shine surface that once it is damaged it is done. However I have to assume there are companied out there that can refinish with the same process used to make it in the first place. There must be a way to resurface plastic like that. Hope someone else is more help!

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

CGLENNP wrote:
If not and, and here was another learning lesson, how can I buff the dullness out of the plastic chrome pieces I created when using chrome polish.
I did that once. :gunhead: Never did find anything to restore the plastic chrome.

One thing I have thought of is the restore kit for auto headlight lens. Haven't tried it but if it didn't work on a test area, you could always use the kit on your auto headlights.:baffled:

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

No one here is going to rip you a new one for buying what you want for your wing! If you never made a mistake in your life, you have never made a decision to do something.

Not sure about plastic chrome but I will ask around. This site is made up of a deverse group with hundreds of opinions, but one thing we share is mutual respect for each other! Welcome to the forum!

Hatch

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Glen did you buy genuine Hondaline chrome accessories or aftermarket stuff showchrome ect. If you bought hondaline then you may have some recourse at the dealer, as it should covered by Honda warrenty.:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Hey:

I do not know any product that will bring it back and stay, some things kinda mask it for a day or two, then it is the same.

Plastic is easily chromed, so depending on what parts are messed up and the price of new ones, you can have a chrome shop re chrome them.

When you purchase or order chrome bits for your bike, from the various aftermarket places, most of the time you do not know if they will be plastic or metal chrome. Many of the parts are not available in metal chrome, Some are, but not all of them .

Rotor covers, speaker covers, radio cover, things like that are generally metal chrome, the side covers, lower cowling and so on are generally plastic.

The best thing to clean a 1800 with is just plain ole pledge furniture polish, takes only 30 minutes, just spray the bike down with it and wipe it all off, cleans, polishes and will never hurt anything. Makes them look like a new penny.

Kit

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

Never heard of using Pledge on a motorcycle before.
I would be worried about it softening the paint or something like that.
I just always used wax to clean my bike with.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

1999JagWing wrote:
Never heard of using Pledge on a motorcycle before.
I would be worried about it softening the paint or something like that.
I just always used wax to clean my bike with.
Furniture polish is perfectly safe to spray on all parts of your bike for cleaning and polishing, there are literally hundreds of us that have been doing it for years and testamony to it countless times on here. :clapper:

A warm welcome to the site Glenn and sorry to hear of your woes with the plastic chromed bits. Lesson learnt I suspect to never use chrome cleaner on plastic chrome, just soft polish only.

I would say that the plastic chrome is pretty much as good as a lot of the metal chromed after market parts especially alluminium whcih has been chromed.

I have two pieces of ally that the chrome is falling off of and I wouldn't give it breathing space. :X

As Shrek Snr. said, you may have some redress with Honda if the parts that have spoiled are Hondaline accessories.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

Don't feel bad, we all live and learn. There's a lot of chrome plastic out there and I've always used Windex glass cleaner on my chrome and gold plating. I've had several things re-plated and they always tell me not to use chrome polish or cleaners. Lemon Pledge works good on everything. It won't last as long as wax but probably less harmful in the long run. I just had some things re-chromed on my 75 CB 750 at Reckon Plating in Indiana and looks great.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

The only problem with using Pledge is you generally have to ask the wife where its kept. Then she is going to ask what you need it for...........and if you can use it on your bike then you can use it the house as well etc etc

BUY YOUR OWN CAN AND HIDE IT.........

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

YES!! Pledge is very good. Get the commercial size for the best price and hide it in the garage.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Glenn,

I found out the same thing about plastichrome. You can do 2 things now,paint it to match the bike or put it on the shelf in the garage. With plastichrome I dont even use wax on anymore. I use a product called REJEX. With REJEX you wont leave fingerprints on the chrome like wax. A couple of other good things to clean and polish the plastichrome and your bikeis 210 Polish and spray Cleaner and another is Plexus. Pledge works good too but the lemon or potpourri would be a turnoff for me.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

I don't know where Lindale is or the chrome parts in question, but you might talk to a chrome plater that has plated ABS plastic. The process in my day was to coat theABS part so it could be electroplated. Also parts were molded from platable grade ABS.

The chrome plater might be able to strip the old chrome in an acid bath and rechrome the part. Please understand I have never heard of thisand do not know if it is possible. Metal parts yes. ABS??

If the above is possible, the fun to pain ratio may be too painful. Then buy new from other aftermarket sources.

As for protection of chromed plastics, care must be taken to ward off abrasives. I wash with a mild soap solution and wax with non abrasive 3M boat wax. Dust seems not to build up and water beads for a long time. Pledge from time to time when underway. 3M also is applied to the windshield as well.

Good luck. It will be interesting to see what the outcome will be.

Longboater

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I don't know what state you are in, if you are in Lindale,Ga. there is a chrome shop

in Rockmart, Ga. I don't know if they do abs plastic or not,some do some don't.

give them a call and see.

Custom Metal Finishing

678-602-2693

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Unless the processes have recently changed.... metal plating is chrome "chromium". Plastic plating is a chrome like film and not the same thing or process. There are some specialty shops that restore vintage plastic car parts with a new chrome or gold like film finish. Have to google, check Hemmings or other auto restoration trim outfits. With plastic trim it is usually cheaper to replace than it is to refinish. Years ago I found an outfit that would do this and the cost was about the same as buying new. At the time I was looking at changing plastic chrome trim to gold color.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.