Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few chrome things on my bike could look a bit better.I see some techniques of restoring but some things are beyond that. I spoke with chrome shop but they don't do plastic or aluminum
Where can I buy chrome parts or how can they be fixed (No paint ideas)

·
Administrator
24,514 Posts
Kuryakyn showing the junk it is.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Chrome on plastic is usually vacuum metalized aluminum with a clear coat over it. I've had that done by a couple of places with pretty good results. I was always starting with bare plastic, but I'm sure there is a chemical solution to remove the bad stuff, first.

You can strip the chrome off the aluminum, polish it and clear powdercoat it. It will hold up for a long time, and is repairable with a fresh polish job and clearcoat. Not quite as shiny as chrome, but can look real nice. A good plating shop can give you a bunch of other options, too.

I just had a pump head done in electroless nickle and even without polishing it came out with an amazing finish and should be proof to all kinds of corrosion. It looks like chrome but with a subtle gold or bronze tint instead of the bluish tint of regular chrome.

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
Chrome on plastic is usually vacuum metalized aluminum with a clear coat over it. I've had that done by a couple of places with pretty good results. I was always starting with bare plastic, but I'm sure there is a chemical solution to remove the bad stuff, first.

You can strip the chrome off the aluminum, polish it and clear powdercoat it. It will hold up for a long time, and is repairable with a fresh polish job and clearcoat. Not quite as shiny as chrome, but can look real nice. A good plating shop can give you a bunch of other options, too.

I just had a pump head done in electroless nickle and even without polishing it came out with an amazing finish and should be proof to all kinds of corrosion. It looks like chrome but with a subtle gold or bronze tint instead of the bluish tint of regular chrome.
Polished aluminum looks better than chrome anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Cheaper and easier to just buy new parts. How did they get so bad? It doesn't look like bad product, scratches on the valve cover don't just happen by their selves. A little time spent cleaning and a little polish would help a lot to keep them looking great. some would rather use their time riding than spend time cleaning. I did both. The wheels on my 02 were stock but a with a little work and Mothers Mag wheel polish they looked like chrome.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
scratches on the valve cover don't just happen by their selves. .
No scratches. The chrome just bubbled up.And My bike is an indoor kept at all times and washed a few times a year
The rest of original chrome looks great. I guess Dave is right.
I talked with a local and he wants like $75 per peg to chrome it. I wonder how long his stuff is going to last.
Congrats on your bike . It looks awesome

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Administrator
24,514 Posts
Those are replacement covers, they go on like the originals with the original screws. Don't be surprised if they leak.

·
1,602 Posts
Those are replacement covers, they go on like the originals with the original screws. Don't be surprised if they leak.
About two years ago i bougth a set of those for a friend and i put them on for him . The fit was 100% and we reused the gaskets from his old covers and it havent leaked one drop and they still look awesome .

·
Administrator
24,514 Posts
About two years ago i bougth a set of those for a friend and i put them on for him . The fit was 100% and we reused the gaskets from his old covers and it havent leaked one drop and they still look awesome .
That's great. My experience with aftermarket chrome engine covers is they always leak. Not just for Goldwings but any engine.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought the lower cowel in chrome $105.OO and a decorative piece that goes on top front of the fender, $42.00.
Thats over 300 bucks in chrome including the valve covers.
Then the helmets, intercom around $750.00.
I need a front tire too.

The reward?
" nice looking bike"

ILL TAKE IT

1 - 20 of 24 Posts