Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

[align=left]I have a couple of questions, on my 84 1200A the engine case and other major components have a sort of milky finish, I was told that they used to varnish the engines to keep them looking nice, any way what can I do to get a nice polished look, secondly at one time battery acid dripped on the left muffler any recommendations on fixing that up nice?[/align]

[align=left]on a side note thanks to all that recommended ways to adapt the 5 pin jack under the left storage compartment, I now have tunes in my head.[/align]

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Hello Pot Lickerand welcome to the message board. The engine rocker covers and timing belt covers have clearcoat on them (the rest of the engine is painted) and these are what go milky. You need to strip the old clearcoat off with Nitromors or other paint stripper, then you can polish them like crazy. If you go back top the main part of the site and go to the "Bikers Workshop" sectin, it shows you how to clean and polish a badly corroded wheel off a gl1500.

As to the exhaust, once battery acid gets on the chrome, I'm afraid the chrome his gone. They use battery type acid in chrome shops to strip old chrome off, the brownish finish you now see is the nickel plating under the chrome.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

FitzAl's giving the right dope on the chrome. About the only thing that can be done is to have them replated, but that usually costs nearly as much as new parts these days with all the enviromental restrictions on electroplaters.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Bit of a temporary/ not very pretty sollution pot licker, but if the damaged exhaust area is not too visible, you could coat it with high temp boiler paint in silver, this stuff

sticks like s**t to a blanket, and doesn't mind things like carbon deposits.

Pete

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey Pot Licker :grinner: Jeez what a name, :cussing:anyway Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:dance::18red::dance:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for all the help, a little paint thinner did wonders and has inspired me to continue on in the area of cleaning chrome, the exhaust will require a bit more attention or a little more acceptance, we all have our flaws I guess the bike is entitled to one or two.

The name "Pot Licker" is the worse name my Grandmother would call someone, and as kids we got a kick out of it, so I use it and think of her. If they where really bad she would call them a "Dirty ol Pot Licker" tough woman.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Where I come from pot licker means something that comes out of a batch of hot mash.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Welcome Pot Licker. The instructions for wheel cleaning will do fine for the rocker covers as well. If they are not too badly pitted you may not even have to use sandpaper.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Englishted, you threw a boot in my soup. I have been ussing 000 steel wool but didn't consider sandpaper. What grit would I use, and being of the mind that it is better to start with the least agressive means, at what point should I consider using sandpaper? It may just be a case of the new guy jitters:baffled:Eitherway this is a good place to pass the time, share a laugh and learn about a common love. Thanks for the help.

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.