Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Are there any problems accociated with chroming the wheels on the 1500??? I want to do this, but am worried about "fit" afterwards with bearings, axle ect. I'm pretty sure that they dip the whole wheel and chroming must add some "thickness" to the whole wheel. Anyone done this and have any pictures of it??

thanks

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

The only problems are cost (expensive, especially if you do not dismantle the rims yourself) and you notice it a lot more when your rims are dirty:smiler:.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
imported post

Forget the chrome, have them painted black and just go riding.

Who wants to spend hours and hours trying to get every little nook and cranny free of road dirt?

Not me, I wash my bike twice a year whether it needs it or not.

I bought it to ride and ride and ride.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Chroming does not really effect anything.
A good shop or person knowing what they are doing will mask any critical areas that should not be plated if there are any such areas on the parts. Same with powder coating.

Aluminum can be tricky to plate though. The problem with it for one thing is basically the second your done polishing, Aluminum will begin to Oxidize! Generally a coating can be applied to the aluminum to prevent this and it dissolves, washes away, when the part is tanked for plating.

Chrome plating is costly also.

If you want a chrome look though I might suggest Chrome Powder coat. It's not real chrome but looks like it when done correct. Should cost much less and have several advantages over chrome also.

No matter what though, a large portion of the cost is in polishing the parts. In order to have a great looking part after plating or coating the part needs to be polished to mirror shine before plating if you want that shine after plating.
Plating does not hide anything, and in many cases may show up a scratch, dent, dimple etc.. even more after plated than before. Getting the part perfect costs, and the closer it is to perfect when you take it in the less it may cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.