6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Trip canceled!

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Curious why Interlochen.... that little upscale artsy community doesn't appear to be a place I will be riding, but what do I know.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

what about the snow??

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
Curious why Interlochen.... that little upscale artsy community doesn't appear to be a place I will be riding, but what do I know.
There is weekend free camping at Cyclemoores campground for their birthday bash this coming weekend. Should be some people from here maybe and Motor Campers forum there.
Dusty is also heading up that way.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

skoto1 wrote:
what about the snow??
Well, that would be interesting, about the only thing I have not rode in yet LOL
I do have the Auston Taxi tire on rear so not too worried about it as I think it's an all season tire. :ROFL:

Really, though it might get a bit cold, I don't think snow is a problem yet even up there.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Chromo,

I would suggest htting the Upper Peninsula and ride across down through Wisconsin to Iowa if you have that much time kill. You will need to watch the weather very closely up there this time of year. Lake Affect snow and freezing rain isn't out of the question. It will be downaround the freezing mark at night as well. We have already had freezing temps here in IL this past Monday morning. Mike and I road home from Tellico Sunday night in some low 30 temps. If you change your plans let me know. I'll give you some suggestions of sites to see while in the UP.

I know Dusty is planning to cross into Canada at the Soo. Machinaw Bridge and the Soo Locks is two of the sites and thereis a lot more in the UP besides that.

Don

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
imported post

Try to hit the Tunnel of Trees on the way from G.Rapids towards Traverse City. Very nice ride, especially if the leaves are starting to change. I think it is M 119.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
imported post

M-119 (aka Tunnel of Trees) ia actually North of TC, on the way to the Bridge. It hugs the Lake Michigan shore line. I hear it's a must do!

Wave as you pass by Kalamazoo and/or Battle Creek! Unfortunately, I'll be working. SIGH!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

Sleeping Bear dunes, tunnel of trees, and many more. I have been there before. quite a nice area.
I am going to meet up with dusty (Ken)boots at Cycle~more Thursday so I guess I will see you there.
God Bless
Gary

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

Sleeping Bear dunes, tunnel of trees, and many more. I have been there before. quite a nice area.
I am going to meet up with dusty (Ken)boots at Cycle~more Thursday so I guess I will see you there.
God Bless
Gary

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Looks like a great ride, if the weather doesn't go bad. My daughter lives in Empire, very close to Interlochen. Try the Frendly Tavern in Empire, for a nice dinner. They really are friendy.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

If you go to Ohio try the Old Man's cave area near Nelsonville, Ohio. It is in southeast Ohio. Beautiful in the fall. Nice ride too.:)

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Be safe in your travels Chromo:waving:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Well, I headed out today and did something I never really do.
I turned back!
Having some muscle pains and legs cramps having to stop allot, then hitting storms also I headed home.
Going to give another try tomorrow!

I had not even made it far enough from home to be worth getting a hotel and it was far to early in the day anyway.

Storms on and off when riding, got home it was wet then a good storm hit, been quite for a few hours tonight and now got constant thunder here and some rain.
By constant thunder I mean it never stops, as one blast starts to quite the other begins.

Went out shopping for more food and stuff tonight and it was ok no rain, by the time we started home about 6:30pm or so it was already getting foggy, and the deer were out, 1 tried to get us on the way to town in the car and 2 others darted into woods on way home.

Normally I ride through storms but with the muscle leg issues today and the storms I did not feel safe to ride, and I was not making anytime anyway having to stop far too often to walk off cramps.

Will try again in morning sometime, but probably have to wait till daylight at least. With all the fog and deer that will be out my normal 4am ride is not going to be a good Idea at this time!

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

As long as your that far up the mitten I would suggest taken the bridge to the UP. Then take hwy 2 west and on down through WI. If you take HWY 2 west to 45/17 south and come down through Eagle River, WI we could meet up depending on the day. Happy Trails to You!

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

I can email you the list of buffets along your route if necessary. Have fun and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Trip canceled on account of pain.

Just can't ride it right now, still got problems and decided it best if I don't try to campout for 2 weeks right now in rain and cold so far from home.

I gave it another try but riding was just not good for me this trip so came home again.

Some good wet riding though considering I didn't go anywhere LOL

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
imported post

Just as target fixation can cause us it run our bikes up a guy wire or into that tiger trap of a pot hole, goal fixation can make us ride beyond our capacity to do so.

Good on ya Chromo for making the difficult choice to turn around.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

Yep, we all have limits and knowing them before we push beyond them is key to safety.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.