Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all

have just bought yet another goldwing is there is no cure for me!

bike runs fine but gears seem very crunchy

not so bad going up

but very clunky going down mainly between 2nd and 1st

any ideas ?

cheers

bill57

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Hi Bill. First thing you need to check is the clutch adjustment. It might just be the cable needs adjustment with a bit of luck.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi eddie thanks for the reply

cable seems fine have taken up to max adjustment still the same

are there any other things to adjust?

cheers bill

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

GWEddie wrote:
Hi Bill. First thing you need to check is the clutch adjustment. It might just be the cable needs adjustment with a bit of luck.
What year is the goldwing?

know my 84 doesn't have a cable, just hydraulics..

Myself, I rana quart ofMMO through the crankcase before changing the oil and then added 8oz's of Lucas motor oil additive during the oil /filter change and now it feels better than new!

the engine as well is sooo quiet.

I just can hardly believe the difference this additive/snake oil has made!:grinner:

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Bill, 2-1 changedown is always clunky on the GL1100. If however it's clunking excessively and lurching in all gears I'd probably try thinner oil just to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't then the clutch is suspect. I doubt if it's a gear problem when all the gears are affected.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Has the bike been laid up for quite some time, if so maybe the MMO followed by (just bear with me on this, Im not trying to bring up "THE" discussion again) an oil change with (God Forbid) Honda motor oil.

Oh yes...the downshift from 2nd to 1st is best made when the forward motion of the motorcycle has ceased or is very slow.

If the bike has not been laid up, try the oil change to Honda motor oil and let us know if the shifts are any better.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
imported post

;)hi bill,i have this problem on my 84 aspy ,it now has a slipping clutch,so i have bought new clutch plates ,going to fit them on sat.,they cost £54 (wait for it) plus vat plus extortionate postage=£72.95 from the original £54,i would never use the net again for new bike parts your better off going to the nearest bike shop,also the company i used delivered them 3 days late instead of next day delivery which i paid £7.95 ive asked for some kind of refund but would you beleive it theres no reply...but the clunky gear change 1st&2nd is exactly the same as mine,but hopefully for you its only air in the clutch or similar,hope it works out bill,bri,sunderland...;):waving:

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
imported post

It might be from worn synchronizers, some coupling thats is still occuring with the clutch still engaged (ie clutch maladjusted) or it could your oil might have friction modifiers(energy conserving oils witht the star burst SJ SL) that cause the sychronizer to slip instead of locking up the dogs. And it could be a combination of factors.

You could try shifting down at lower speeds.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

thanks tony

have changed oil today has improved!

have adjusted cable to max is there any other adjustment to clutch i can do ?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Motorcycles don't have synchronizers. That's why they're so clunky when shifted without matching speed to RPMs. Clunky aint all bad. The trans is designed to withstand zillions of clunky shifts.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

I know this might sound pretty stupid , but what is MMO? I have just been putting in whatever is cheap at wally world as far as oil goes, sounds like i need to step it up a bit,, thanks Hammer

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

gears and everything feel great on this bike, im sure it cant hurt to give it a little shot of lovin lol. thanks Hammer

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

tpwood wrote:
MMO is: Marvin's Mystry Oil, usaully come in a red can. Mr Fix it, you mentioned Lucas Oil treatment to on an 84 Aspy, did that affect your clutches?
Close but no cigar, Marvel Mystery Oil.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

tpwood wrote:
MMO is: Marvin's Mystry Oil, usaully come in a red can. Mr Fix it, you mentioned Lucas Oil treatment to on an 84 Aspy, did that affect your clutches?

Sorry for the delay in responding.. this working for a living is getting in the way of my living!!:doh:

No slippage at all in the clutch department using Lucas motor oil additive.:dance:

In fact it has improved since, that the clunking of gear shifting has reduced to almost no exsistant..

So far this snake oil is awesome!:clapper:

[suP]BTW.. (It's Marvel Mystery Oil here in America...):rollingeyes:[/suP]

I like the MMO as well. it just works..

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

tpwood wrote:
OK your right, I had a can of that stuff along time ago with my Harley, I think I just threw it out back in March, I had it and went with me from NC to MD to PA from 1987.
What a waste, MMO lasts as long as Twinkies and no one yet knows how long Twinkies last.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

have changer to a thinner oil and problem has almost gone :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.