Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Went to Vegas today 150 mile round trip, bike ran great going there up the mountain (5600 ft) but on the way back it loss power going up the MT., down shifted gassed it, just enough power to keep chuggin up the hill at 50 mph, usually can run up it at 80MPH?

Got on the other side , flat ground, kept it at a steady 70MPH and counld feel a VERY SLIGHT surge every 75 yds or so , like lighty tapping the brake?

Then after 5 miles of that it ran good the next 25 miles?

Bought some "sea foam" and put it in a few miles from home, will run it through?

I'll check the fuel filter tomorrow, maybe under load it was starving for gas? I'll look at the plugs too?

Any other things I should check? GL 1100

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Don't everyone answer at once,lol!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

OK I'll give it a shot Sure sounds to me like bad gas eg cheap Water in it etc I only use midgrade or premium

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Midgrade and premium can be "bad", too. If the engine doesn't ping on what you normally use, why pay more? Sounds like a few drops of water in the carbs. I'll bet the Sea Foam fixes it.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

around here sea level to mountain pass in 2 hrs my 1200 "pings" loud enough for the guy behind me to hear if I just use regular 87 gas

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Where did you buy gas? Did you get a load during the trip, if so that may be the problem. Did it rain where you were before you bought the gas, if so water may have entered and you got some in the tank. If after a while the bike ran fine, you may have consumed the water component. If water is in your tank it will sit at the bottom, more dense than gas. In cold climates we use de icers to get rid of water and keep the water from freezing and stalling the fuel feed. Try running the tank low but not empty. remove the hose from the petcock and drain the remainder of the fuel, place in a clear container and let sit, check it out to see if there is a stratification line between water and gasolene. If so you know you got a crap load of fuel. Clean or replace the in line filter. Top up with a known clean supply of fuel. You may want to add some gas line antifreeze for that tank. It will surround the molecules of water and enable you to get it out of the tank.

Also check your exhaust ports at the back of the pipes. There may be some vapor coming off as water is heated, this will look like fog, misting. Put your hands atthe outlet and you will feel the misting, smell it to verify that it is not anti freeze or fuel, it should have no odour, but turn into liquid run off.

The temporary problem may simply be a bad load of fuel for any reason, usually no maintenance by the garage owner.

Check for dripping from the exhaust drip holes, should be water condensate until the exhaust system is hot.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Changed the fuel filter and plugs (they looked OK) Had to put "Champion Plugs " in it for now, They ran great, ran a tank of "Sea Foam" through it , then went back to the "Mountain" and it went up it like it's a## was on Fire, no problem, 80 in 5th gear and went down to 4th and romped on it !:clapper:

I think I got some gas that plugged my Fuel filter 1/2 up? Moved that "Fuel filter" to 1" from the "fuel pump"(after market stone filter), now I can pop them in and out inthree minutes!:clapper:

Only got 33 MPG but that was counting climbing up the mountain front and back and running 77 MPH average!

Made a guy an offer on his 82 spotless "Wing", rootbeer Brown 2 tone,with 37000 miles on it?

If he calls, I'll buy it!:baffled:

He just missed a 2003 "Wing" for $6800! Guy got divorced and had to get rid of it, Dang!

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

This sounds like you broke the inlet valve on your deer alert!!!! :cheeky1: :cheeky1:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.