Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I hooked up the wiring with a fused positive to the auxilary terminal so that it is switched is this the best way to do it?

Or is there a better way?

Thanks

Happy New Year to all.

Steve

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
imported post

I actually wired up two outlets. One in each front pouch of my GL1500. One is wired/fused to the fuse box, so it is only active when the key is on.

The other is wired / fused directly to the battery. I can use either while riding, and the one direct wired to the battery makes an excellent spot to plug in my trickle charger.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Very cool. Thanks for the idea I will add that to my system
Steve

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

You did right by useing a fuse in the line. If you find that you will be adding other electricals to your bike, then an extra fuse block is the way to go. I used this one,,,,,,

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/23042

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you and thanks for the ling looks like a good item.
I added t halogen lights and went from battery and from auxiliary with a relay and a switch.
If I add anything else I will bput in the fuse block you showed me.
Happy new year.
Steve

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

When I added two 12V accessory sockets (one in each pocket) I just fused them directly to the battery.

I don't need to worry about other relays, fuse box, ect.

Either way works, but always use an appropiate rated fuse.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

One thing to remember and this is the reason most buy a auxillary fuse block. The Auxillary terminal is only good for 5 amps putting a larger fuse in the slot doesn't help with that restriction. So with an auxillary fuse block you use the auxillary terminal to engage the relay so all those extra things you add turn off with the KEY...

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

That is a great explanation. Thanks.
I am using to charge a cell phone so it is way under 5 amps but I think I will set the second one direct to the battery and add a relay

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I wired the adapter directly to the 2 screws on top of the fuse block and put a fuse in line i am not using a fuse that is in the fuse box. is that ok?

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

It's worth your time to consider Rudy's Wiring Upgrade, many less headaches down the road. :waving:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
You did right by useing a fuse in the line. If you find that you will be adding other electricals to your bike, then an extra fuse block is the way to go. I used this one,,,,,,

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/23042
Ditto... +1

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Wow this is a great link everyone should read this. they should teach this in high school.
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Oddly... I teach high school!

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Funny,
I live in San Marcos California, go figure.
Steve

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

whitewingguy wrote:
Wow this is a great link everyone should read this.
Big +1 on that!

I used that information when I added a new fuse box and grounding block to my bike for some auxiliary lights and two power sockets (one in my fairing for me and one under my trunk for my passenger). I'll be posting pictures as soon as I'm done the 'winter cleanup' project...

I learn more and more every time I read this site...GREAT SOURCE OF INFORMATION!

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I agree great source of info I have learned so much.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Here's how I wired an auxillary fuse box triggered off the ACC terminal. As you can imagine, the fuses off the block can go to whatever you wish, including cigarette lighter sockets. I ADDED a 30A main fuse in parallel to the stock mainso as to not impact the bike's original power needs.

I use mine to power verious components of my sidecar so that the wife can have whatever accessories she wishes (lights, phone charger, hair dryer, waffle iron, etc)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.