Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I just finished installing my Clarion II in my GL1100. It is a very tght fit in the fairing but I finally got the pockets back in. The new system came with a full wiring harness.

:clapper:

My question is this. The big difference I see now that my signal lights in the fairing used to stay on all the time and flash when the blinker was engaged. Now they only work when blinking?

:(

I followed the wiring diagram and matched the wire colors and snap connections all the way. The light bulbs I replaced with 1157 dual filament bulbs.

:?

Shouldn't those lights be on all the time as they were before?

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Yes they should be on, they are the parking/marker lights. The whole light should blink when using turn signal. Set up is the same as on a car.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Further info.

When the key is turned to the On\Start\Run position only the headlight works. When I click one more time to the ACC position, the headlight goes out and the rest of the lights come on.

:shock:

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Mine had an extra wire in the harness from the key to the fairing. I had to swap that harness when I did mine. The ground wire runs into the fairing outside the main connector.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

My schematic shows that you should have had duel filament bulbs, 1157, before in the Turn Signal Assembly's.
If I understand you correctly, your Position Lights part of the Turn Signal Light assemblies do not light at all. Both left and right Position Lights should light until you, let's say, Switch for a left turn. At this time the left Position light will go out and only the brighter blinking light will work.
Left Turn Signal light socket:
Green wire-ground
Orange wire-Position light (Dimmer filament of bulb)
Orange with white tracer wire-Turn blinking light (Brighter filament of bulb)
Right Turn Signal light socket:
Green wire-ground
Blue wire-Position light (Dimmer filament of bulb)
Blue with white tracer wire-Turn blinking light (Brighter filament of bulb)

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

k1w1t1m wrote:
The ground wire runs into the fairing outside the main connector.
The Ground wire is a single Green wire with bullet connector.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

So this is a missing ground wire to the fairing from the key?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

It will have one currently from the bike to the fairing connector but it is on one of the connector pins. Your new fairing harness will have that position on the connector (fairing side) as the side light wire (from what you have said).

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

You mean the large 12 pin white connector that connects the bike to the fairing?

If so, then there is a ground wire there that is not going where it should as the lights are getting power in accessory but not in On? Except the headlight which still comes on when the key is in the On position.

The turn signals work also. Just not the running lights and accessory lights. All of these used to work fine when the key was On.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

When I installed my Clarion 2 system in my 82 all I did with the front turn signals was take them out of the fairing and let them hang down out of my way, other than that I didn't do anything to them or their wiring. I checked all lights and the radio system and made sure everything was working before and after I buttoned everything up.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Hi Bags,

You must have kept the original wiring harness then. I replaced with the opne that came with the Clarion II and I must have missed a ground somewhere I guess.

:(

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Yeah but the 82 might have that extra wire on the bike harness as factory, my 80 didn't and to keep the factory look I swapped the harness as described above.

Unfortunately I didn't take any notice of what wire (color) was on the pin involved. I just noticed that the ground wire with a bullet connector was "outside" the 12 pin fairing connector and that the wire in the position went back to the ignition switch.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Worked and worked on it over the weekend. Lost all the lights except the headlight. Got the radio and CB to working for a while. Then when I got the lights all working again, not stereo or CB.

ARGH!&^%$#(^)(+)

:headbanger:

I HATE electrical problems!!!!!

:X:X:X:X:X:X

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I feel for you. I know how bad it is inside that fairing.

Have you checked the installation manual.
I reread your first post. I'm thinking the wire you're missing is the sidelight wire from the ignition switch. You can probably get around this by finding the sidelight wire in the fairing harness and connecting it to the headlight circuit.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

With a full Clarion 2 system complete with intercom and cb there is an additional wiring harness that comes with it. It plugs into the wiring harness already in the fairing in order to provide power to the additional components that a basic Clarion 2 system doesn't come with when it's just an AM/FM system without intercom and CB.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

you might try this if you havent already. over on the left side is a black plug in with red and black wire. Actually there are a few black plugs on the left but only one coming in. unplug them all. Take your test light and find the one coming in and see if you can swap plugs andget your lights to work and then go from there. Make sure yout tuner is grounded to the bike<sometimes ill use jumper leads >and the green wires grounded.it can give you a headache. JB

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

This has become a comedy of errors.

The good news is that through some tracing and reconnecting I have all my lights working again.

The bad news is that my stereocbintercom has stopped working all together.

AAAAAHHHHHHHH ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

:headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

Oh, did I mention whatever is worng keeps draining my battery?

:blackstuff::blackstuff::blackstuff:

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

The saga continues. I have followed the wiring schematic. Thanks Bagmaster. Everything works.

BUT...

Now my battery is dead and I can't get it to charge up even in the charger.

Did I mention I HATE ELECTRICAL!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.