Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Greetings, All,

I just found this site and had to join. Best GW site on the planet. I have an 82 Int to which I have added an original Clarion Type II unit with AM/FM, Intercom and CB. I sourced the parts from several Ebay sellers. I got it to work well but I have an extra switch that was not in the installation guide. It is a push/pull switch that mounts under the left speaker in a precut fairing hole.I did not install it as it needs some repair. What is the function of this switch?

Thankyou,

Dadoo

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

I have the same question, sort of. I don't have that switch, but I've always been curious about that rubber-covered hole in the fairing.

Jack

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Add me to the list as well. I thought someone had drilled a hole there to mount a power plug. I never saw a switch while I had it all open working on my headset audio problem, which I never solved either.:X

Bob:11grey:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Dadoo, I installed the Type II on my Interstate also when it was new. I saw a switch like you describe mounted in the precut hole under the left speaker only once at a Honda dealer. The dealer called it a power booster. (Obviously must have had something more that just the switch) When it was operated, the volume came up and it sounded like a reverberation unit from the sixties, although it didn't have any rear speakers. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

I have an 83 Aspencade and the just below the left speaker is a power plug or cigar lighter. Take your pick. I put a rubber plug in it to be used for a power source if needed. I have never seen the push pull switch.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thank you, Koots. The GL1100 headlight adjuster is centered in front of the speedo/tach mount.

Dadoo

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

In the position you describe, I also have a 12v power port (for cig lighter, etc)

There are a myriad of switches all over my '81 Interstate. I have Clarion AM/FM CB Intercom. Not sure what they all were for at one time or another, but here is a list:

Right side of fairing, by the speaker, 2 toggles: One to turn on/off the radio speakers, the other toggle switch function unknown.

Left hand grip: yellow 3-position toggle - controls intercom function at least. Not sure about the 3rd position.

Left hand grip: black momentary pushbutton switch near index finger - no clue.

Don't know which of them are stock. Anyone else able to tell me what the functions could be?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Here is a pic from my 83 Aspencade left faring. The switch is in front of cassett deck and below left speaker.
Its called 'Super Sound' it does boost the volume and increase the bass.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

83gl100A, your pic is only the second one of these amplifiers I have ever seen, and about 23 years apart.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Well guys, that is what I have. I plugged it in to my system, turned it on and suddenly was taken back in time as my system had a reverb sound to it. I will mount it permanently when my system comes back from being repaired at Sierra Electronics.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

83gl1100A wrote:
Here is a pic from my 83 Aspencade left faring. The switch is in front of cassett deck and below left speaker.
Its called 'Power Amplifier' it does boost the volume and increase the bass.
That does bring back memories. Not too many 1100s had that switch, nice to see one still working.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Does anyone know if this was a factory or dealer Clarion option or some aftermarket offering? The fellow at Sierra Electronics has never seen one of these. There was one on Ebay a while back. NOS. Should have bought it.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Dadoo, I saw one of these on a brand new GL1100A atthedealer I bought my bike from, they had installed it but did not say much more than that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.