Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Insurance companies seem to have a field day with older motorcycles. and in fact will not cover personal losses as in accidental or collision here in Ontario, Canada. As the new owner of a 1980 Goldwing, the costs to insure the bike are fairly high, but when I apply to on-line brokers there is a question as to whether the bike is a classic. I also noticed that the dates of older bikes in the drop down menu goes to 1980, is this by chance or software or in 2006 will I be unable to get insurance?

At this time my car, home and now bike insurance will be covered bythe broker I have used for 30 years. The bike with PD (property damage) and PL (Public Liability)will cost $718/year, no theft or collision. I have tried TD Canada Trust as suggested and at over $2000, no thanks. By the way driving in Ontario without insurance is a $5000 fine.

I have had the GL 1100 for 3 days now and have pulled it apart, repaired, re-assembled and in fact I am amazed at the good condition of ths 25 year old machine. I still need to drain and replace all brake fluids, but the discs, calipers, pads all spec out as new, the unit has 87000 Km on the dial.

I am a bit puzzled about draining the front fork oil and replacing with ATF. The top of the forks have an air aux valve to preload the oil fork pressure to about 14-21 PSIG. The Clymer shows a top end fork configuration without the aux valve adder. Should I simply dismantle the aux valve and hoses and then be back to what the Clymer shows as the top of the forks?

As a precaution and from my laziness to get off my butt, while changing all the fuel hoses I used WD40 as it was close at hand and changed out the fuel from a year old blend toa new charge of 2 gallons of Hi Test. All oils and coolants changed, fired her up, on first crack , let it warm and then there was a change in tone and rpm and smoke. Smelled and felt the misty smoke, very much like antifreeze, but different. Shut her down, pulled the plugs regapped then with ignition off turned her over with the starter and checked compression with my finger since I still need to make a plug for my compression gauge. Reinstalled the plugs and fired her up, started immediately no smoke, no nothing just wonderful pulsations of combustion.

While in bed I realized that I was burning new gas and a mixture of WD 40 that I used to lube the inside of the rubber hoses. By the way WD 40 is a lousy penetrant, but it sure is easy to get.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

"classic" is one of those elusive difinitions.... some people put it at 25 years... some further back

I guess my '78 is a classic... but I always felt is was just classy

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

hmm... Around here we have Antique which is 15 years... Interesting that they would have a definition of Classic which could be entirely subjective IMO... Probably need to talk to a live person at your insurance company to figure it out for sure.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

Just a thought with putting air into the front forks DON'T USE a high pressure air hose unless you want to replace your seals etc. etc. To be safe use a bike tire pump---- or (tyre pump) or some other hand powered pump...Rod best of luck in future

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Don't forget that of that $718 per year, $500 or more is for the compulsory accident benefits.
That section bugs me because I am retired and that if I was layed up by an acident in either car or bike, my income would not be affected one bit. Now because of that would the insurance company be liable to pay these benefits concidering the fact that they are for replacing income lost due to accident?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
imported post

I pay $155 US$ for my 79 GL1000. I thought that might be a bit on the high side, but I do not feel that way any longer. It is $25 for tags each year and $50 for the title when I bought it.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

"Insurance companies seem to have a field day with older motorcycles. and in fact will not cover personal losses as in accidental or collision here in Ontario, Canada. As the new owner of a 1980 Goldwing, the costs to insure the bike are fairly high, but when I apply to on-line brokers there is a question as to whether the bike is a classic. I also noticed that the dates of older bikes in the drop down menu goes to 1980, is this by chance or software or in 2006 will I be unable to get insurance?

At this time my car, home and now bike insurance will be covered bythe broker I have used for 30 years. The bike with PD (property damage) and PL (Public Liability)will cost $718/year, no theft or collision. I have tried TD Canada Trust as suggested and at over $2000, no thanks. By the way driving in Ontario without insurance is a $5000 fine."

I just this last week got my Wing and today I got it legally on the road. I was getting bored with staying in my little subdivision. Insurance companies seem to be getting away with most anything these days. I am using Grey Power as my broker but for now, will not disclose the covering company. I called and got a quote for the insc costs before making the Wing purchase, and I was quoted $278 for PLPD only. The way I look at it, if the bike was wrecked or stolen, we would be astounded at how soon the thing would be written off for about 1-2K-- so I figure that PLPD is all that is prudent. Anyway, after getting the bike and needing to have proof of insurance before I can have the bike registered(when I now have the pleasure of donating 15 percent of my purchase price to the NS Gov't), I called the broker again and asked for the coverage to be applied--whereupon she informed me that the company did not cover any bike over 1000 cc HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF THAT----I was pissed off and she knew it.( that is the same as being pissed in the States).I went on abouttheir origional quote and said that I would really be in a big bind----so she said she would retry, based on everything we had discussed, and call me back. I immediately went to another broker, and got a quote for $314 for PLPD only-no problem.

Then, about an hour later. Grey Power called me with "good news" They would cover me but there would be a surcharge for the bike being over 1000cc and the total was not known as yet--she would e-mail me with the quote, and I copied and will paste her statement right here:

"The total premium is $204.00/ this is I think a little more than I quoted but that is because there is a surcharge for anything over 1000cc's.
Sorry."
Now I suspect that she slipped up by about one hundred bucks and it is probably $304.00, but we shall see.
For others in this thread who commented, there is no payout to the insured with PLPD--only protection from suit if an accident is proven to be your fault..
So if you can, give Grey Power a call, I think they work only with those over 50, and so are not involved with the heavy end of the age bracket.
I spoke with one local guy who said his insc was $800, but he must have had additional coverage.
I am quite happy with my present situation. We shall see.

Hope this may help

Hawker22

PS The batteries must be weak on my GD wireless keyboard--My text is bouncing all over the place.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

My 77 wing cost me $79 a year for insurance, I won't complain

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

i think i would check around a bit more on your prices in ns,i have my 76 1000 and my wifes 81 suzuki insured for plpd for 278 dollars for the pair,per year

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I'm glad I live in a state where motorcycles don't need to carry insurance.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
I'm glad I live in a state where motorcycles don't need to carry insurance.
be prepared then to pay the bill yourself if (and I hope not) you ever are the cause of an accident and someone is injured...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.