Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just joined the site today and thought I would add my idea for cleaning badly rusted gl1000 gas tanks.

I purchased a cement mixer, first I strapped the tank to the mixer, but the straps loosened after a short time.

Next I built a frame that would bolt to the mixer, (the mixer can be changed back at any time with 3 bolts).

The gl1000 tank bolts into the frame the same way it bolts into the bike with 1 bolt.

By tilting the mixer drum bottom The whole tank can be cleaned.

I put stone like pieces into the tank, (the type used in vibrator parts cleaners).

I take out the sending unit and put in a blank without the float to seal the hole.

It takes about 3 hours to clean a badly rusted tank.

I then wash the inside with water and dish detergent then dry with compressed air.

To store the tanks I add some oil and "Seafoam" gas conditioner and slosh the mixture around to cover the inside of the tank.

I slosh the mixture every week or so to make sure they stay clean.

So far so good, any questions just ask.

Dave "zimco"

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

I just joined the site today and thought I would add my idea for cleaning badly rusted gl1000 gas tanks.

I purchased a cement mixer, first I strapped the tank to the mixer, but the straps loosened after a short time.

Next I built a frame that would bolt to the mixer, (the mixer can be changed back at any time with 3 bolts).

The gl1000 tank bolts into the frame the same way it bolts into the bike with 1 bolt.

By tilting the mixer drum bottom The whole tank can be cleaned.

I put stone like pieces into the tank, (the type used in vibrator parts cleaners).

I take out the sending unit and put in a blank without the float to seal the hole.

It takes about 3 hours to clean a badly rusted tank.

I then wash the inside with water and dish detergent then dry with compressed air.

To store the tanks I add some oil and "Seafoam" gas conditioner and slosh the mixture around to cover the inside of the tank.

I slosh the mixture every week or so to make sure they stay clean.

So far so good, any questions just ask.

Dave "zimco"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

wow. that is quite exotic, Everyone can ship their tanks to you and get them cleaned.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. Intricate and clever gadget you have there. If you do a search of the forum threads, you'll find others have some pretty nifty ways of cleaning tanks too. Creative, never-say-die 'mericuns, one and all...except for the Brits, of course. And the Aussies, and the Cannucks, and the North Africans and the Irish & Scotts and Indians, Spaniards and well...you get the picture.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Know a guy named Hick who placed some ball bearings nut and bolts in the tank, then he wrapped it in multiple blankets and packed it inside the cement mixer with bungee cords over the opening, he let it run for a couple of days and then rinsed it out and it was spotless inside.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

Someone once told me to use a small length of chain inside the tank instead of the rocks. It will still do the job and the one piece of chain is easier to get out of the tank.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Judd,

I have a question that has bothered me since the first time I opened up one of these GL1000 gas tanks.

Inside on the bottom there are two screens at the end of the pick-up lines for the shut off reserve and regular fuel supply.

Isn't there a real good chance that when you seal the inside of the tank the screens or lines will also get sealed shutting off the fuel at least partially to the carburetors?

When I first decided to lower one of these bikes I cut off the top of the tank even with the frame.

I then sandblasted the inside of the tank and fabricated a flat top for it.

This allowed the seat to be lowered to the frame line.

My point is that I got a good look at the inside of one of these tanks, that is when I thought it might not be such a good idea to try and seal the inside of the tank.

Your insight will be help full.

Dave "zimco"

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Drywall screws work very well also, because of the sharp edges of the heads and the edges of the threads.

This is the only tank sealer that is recommended for ethanol based fuels. It is also the only 2 part epoxy that I have found.

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

FeButter,

I am familiar with the Caswell products, and they would be my choice also. They are right down the road about 50 miles from me in NY.

I don't know about other Goldwing models but I have cut open a GL1000 tank, inside are fuel lines and screens.

But if a product seals holes won't it also seal up the screens inside the Goldwing tank.

We seem to have a unique problem in that we can remove the shut off valve but we can't take out or block off the screens.

I would highly discourage anyone from using any kind of sealer product inside a goldwing GL1000 tank.

The Drywall screws are a fine idea I have used them also.

Dave "zimco"

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Zimco,

I have to admit that my comments were based on tank sealing in general.I have no experience with the idiosyncrasies of the Goldwing tank. Thanks for correcting me.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

I will admit that Ihad to use spell check for that one! ;)

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

When I cleaned the tank on my 1982 GL1100 i used a couple hands full of
fine gravel that i scooped out of my fish tank with petrol after i was done i just rinsed the tank out with petrol worked great but the fumes is nasty , just shook it for a couple of hours LoL a half day . :baffled:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.