Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all, I have a rear caliper that is dragging a bit. I dont want to open the brake system and rebuild the caliper since it has no other troubles. Is there any product that I can spray on them to clean them without damaging the piston dust seals? I dont want to use the automotive brake cleaners for that simple fear. I am prepared to remove it and take it apart and clean it if that is all that is left to do, I just dont have the inclination to bleed the brake system on my 02 GL1800. I have viewed Fred Harmon's video's and he used spray brake cleaner, I would think this would eat the seals right out....He also used denatured alcohol....Any ideas out there?

cheers,

Kevin (Kevo) Ramsey:?:?:?:?:?

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
imported post

just used brake cleaner on my fronts. seemed to be fine.

also just pulled the pistons on my rear caliper and rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

If you dont wanna rebuil, I would try putting a block of wood that when apllying bakes would allow istons to come out slightly but not all the way out clean the dirt off the visible part and see if thats what was binding.
I wonder what would happen oif you pulled the pistons out and reused the seals.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

My front calipers were seized tight, Had to use the master cyl to push them out. the pistons were pitted and needed replacing, No parts avalible that day so I polished the pistons with crocuse clothe and removed the seals and cleaned everything, reassembled with rubber lube as a tempory repair untill I could get some parts. That was last spring and I just had the Wing out for the first time today and there is no leaks and the brakes are stil working fine.
Got to love the west coast, Sunny and 15c lots of other bikes out as well, forcast is for 10 cm of snow tomorrow evening though. UHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

I have pulled the pistons out of my 1000, cleaned (scrapped w/finger nail, and reused the seals. They work fine and don't leak. I have done this twice on my '81 750 and they don't leak.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
imported post

jsut pulled my pistons out of the rear and they were pitted some. found a seal kit for 25 dollars on ebay.

It was not a hard project.

i had a brilliant idea and called my jewler friend. 15 minutes later both pistons were like new and as smooth as a baby bottom.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

Sorry didn't notice you had a new 1800. My post pertained to the oldies.:D

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I have rebuilt many calipers with no problems, I just want to know if there is a product that can clean and lubricate the pistons without removing them....

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

having just pulled my corroded pistons from the rear caliper and found the dust seal grooves full of corrosion/road dirt, i would pull a good piston just to clear the crud

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

ARE THERE ANY PRODUCTS THAT DO NOT ATTACK THE DUST AND PISTON SEALS? That is the question....
cheers,
Kevo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.