Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What's the accepted method for doing this. I get a pretty good "whoosh" when I remove the tank.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,769 Posts
imported post

`
Remove the tank Andy? Or just the cap :D

The whoosh is most likely a vacuum rather than air escaping under the cap. If the cap vent is plugged up, as the gas level drops, it will create a vacuum in the tank.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Lopeha,

I used to have a sputtering problem near ½ tank and below before I fixed my gas cap. I simply took it off, tapped it with a hammer for a bit. Put in a bunch of WD40 and let it set for awhile (15 – 20 min) and then started tapping it again. I then smacked it a few more times a bit harder on the concrete floor in the downward position (oriented as if it were on the tank). Problem solved. Not only does it not sputter anymore at ½ tank… The bike overall runs better at about 7/8 of a tank and below.

Tim

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

Hey there lopeha I put about 1/2 container (plastic butter container 1lb) of seafoam and put the cap in and left it overnight works perfect.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i do belive they are the same--vent wise--but they (1000) are smaller .

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

I wish that I had a good cap or a great answer for you brother. I received the taillight that you mailed me for free today and would love to return the favor. God Bless

·
Administrator
26,977 Posts
imported post

It is supposed to hold some pressure so the whoosh is normal. If it's a vacuum in the tank then it's plugged. Soak it in vinegar to remove rust.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Great ideas! Thanks for the response. I'll try them tomorrow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.