Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone know a good way to clean the old grease out of the rear wheel hub and splines? Can the final drive unit be cleaned the same way?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I scrape mine out with a piece of aluminum or fiberglass circuit board then spray it with non-chlorinated brake cleaner and then wipe with paper towels and a final cleanup with more brake cleaner ( I like brake cleaner).

Everything likes brake cleaner (except plastics and paint).

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

When I did mine, the bearings were out so I used varsol and compressed air. The old air gun does a great job on most things(if you have air).

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I just did mine and used an old gallon plastic jug with a hole drilled in the lid for a 1/4 inch air hose. Air hose is attached to an air spray handle running off the compressor. Jug filled with kerosene. Spray then air dry with different nozzle. Wipe up excess with clean towel.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:
Wow, I wish my splines still looked that good.:baffled:
Unless they were replaced by a PO, those have over 75,000 miles on them!

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
I just did mine and used an old gallon plastic jug with a hole drilled in the lid for a 1/4 inch air hose. Air hose is attached to an air spray handle running off the compressor. Jug filled with kerosene. Spray then air dry with different nozzle. Wipe up excess with clean towel.

I just used a rag and some elbow grease...but I'm telling you, this one look's damn fine...

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Don't they though? Don't know what made me think to take pics of them for, I guess I'm just a show and tell kind of guy!:D:D

I didn't even take the assembly off for removing the tire.

Anyways, new owners can now see what we're talking about when we refer to the pumpkin and the splines.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster,

I couldn't help but notice, is thata "picnic table" that you're using for a workbench?? That seems to be my workbench of choice....

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

My '85 has the rear drive and rear wheel off a 1500. I'm guessing an 88 because that is the only # I can find on the rim or drive.

It has some serious wear on both sides of the splines. I will have to replace it when I can and it will probably be cheaper just buying the entire set up off ebay.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

chesterwgunn wrote:
Bagmaster,

I couldn't help but notice, is thata "picnic table" that you're using for a workbench?? That seems to be my workbench of choice....
Naw, used this trailer.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
chesterwgunn wrote:
Bagmaster,

Naw, used this trailer.

What trailer Michael? I don't see any trailer?

You forget to take your meds today?? :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

AWESOME ORANGE from your local 99 cent store and blue paper towels or old underwear. The choice of professionals around the world LOL. JB

Attachments

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Got everything cleaned,new tire,new Honda grease and wheel is back on. Now if those new Progressive416's would get here I will be on my way to riding in our beautiful weather here in Phoenix.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Thats something I gotta do, put on another rear wheel and new tire. I can do the front ok, but the rear, Got new tire and wheel it in my shed now, but I just dont have the "Spine" for it! (Paralized in the center of my shoulders)

:dude:

Nightrider1

chesterwgunn wrote:
Bagmaster wrote:

I just used a rag and some elbow grease...but I'm telling you, this one look's damn fine...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.