Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1986 1200 SEI and I was wondering does anyone know how to get inside the switches to clean them. I mean the switches on the left handlebar for the leveling and radio.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
i just spray CRC QD Electronic cleaner into the side of the switch as best you can and work the switch up and down several times,sometimes requires several applications before the switches free up

·
Registered
11 Posts
Going to find out!

Hi I am having the same problem, looks like these are obsolete from Honda! The suggestion of spraying electrical contact cleaner seams like a good possibility as Honda usually uses non serviceable switches for things like this. Understandable because of the desire for very small switches at the handle bar. I intend to try to dissemble mine, let you know if I have any success!

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Guys,

It's been my experience that you are NOT going to get the internals of these switches cleaned by spraying in anything from the outside. You have to disassemble the switch housing to get into the individual switches inside and then disassemble and clean those.

These particular switches and housings are little different on the 85 Limited and the 86 SEi than those switches on the other GL1200s, but you have to do the same thing to clean them.

All of these switch housings, like those on my 87 Aspencade, are glued together as I expected, since there are no tabs or other locking mechanisms on the housing halves. This is clearly the way they came from the factory, since once inside I could tell they had never been apart before.

I actually had to separate my housing halves by very carefully and slowly "re-opening" the housing at the original seams by tracing/cutting the seams with an Xacto knife. This took some time and some strong reading glasses. I did not want to make a new parting seam as I cut, but just keep and open the original seam.

Once inside, the problem will be immediately obvious. The original 20+ year old discolored dielectric grease that is harder than a carp! No way the springs or contacts could properly move through it anymore. And, no way it could be removed or dissolved by spraying anything in from the outside.

Here's a couple of pictures of what just the disassembled CB switch looked like inside. (Radio switches are the same):

Brown goop in the lever switch is hardened grease. Hard like a BB shot. The contacts in this switch are so covered with dried goop you can't even see them. No way to clean this by spraying from the outside.

Next is the disassembled Push-to-Talk switch.

The green goop on the push button switch contacts is hardened grease mixed with corrosion from the brass contacts. Again, no way to clean this mess from the outside.

I cleaned up each individual switch by removing all of that old hard grease. Then I emory clothed all of the contacts until shiny clean, then re-applied just a TINY bit of dielectric grease (don't use too much on these low voltage switches!), and reassembled the individual switches. Next I reassembled them into the outer switch housings and then reassembled the housings by gluing them back together. The switches work like new now!

IMPORTANT: When you open up the individual switches you're gonna have tiny little parts an springs flying everywhere. So, be sure to do this where you have a clean shop floor so you can find anything that goes flying. Or, do the Zip Lock bag trick. Disassemble the individual switches inside of a huge two gallon Zip Lock bag. Put the switch and your hands completely inside the bag. That way anything that goes "flang" will end up in the bag!

Good luck with it. It's doable, just be patient.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another great jog ^5 wingman!

:claps: However earlier today I took Neoracers advice and tried some spray cleaner in the switch opening and got good results! I did look and see there factory glued together and rather than risk damage to the obsolete housings I tried the Crc spray, it worked for me, for the time being any way. I am however also applying a bit of WD-40 and using a syringe I plan on injecting some dielectric grease tomorrow after the excess wd drains out. Thanks Guys your both awesome. Neoracer ty for the message, however I have to head out with my lady for dinner with friends, I;ll call you tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cleaning inside of switches

Hey Wingman thanks alot for the info on cleaning switches. I took mine all apart and let me tell you they were sure gunked up but they are all clean now. It was really pretty easy but like you said watch when you take them apart. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Hey Wingman thanks alot for the info on cleaning switches. I took mine all apart and let me tell you they were sure gunked up but they are all clean now. It was really pretty easy but like you said watch when you take them apart. Thanks again
You're welcome Bobby. Glad it worked out for you.

And... GO NAVY ! ! !

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I tried removing those switches on my LTD, they just crumbled and fell apart. So did the turn signal switch, and so did the clutch master cylinder sight glass, er, I mean plastic. Honda did not design these things to hold up to sunlight for 25 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.