Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

OKI finially got the Silver Star lamp installed. I notice that the inside of the headlamp lense has a smoky type of film on the inside of the lense.

I have read that the reflective fils is reportedly delicate and will flake off. Anyone out there successfully clean the inside of the lense of their headlight, and how did you do it?

I figgure that if I get this film residue off of the glass, I will have better transmission of light through the lense.:?:?:?

Chuck

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Do you mean the inside of the glass or the reflector ?? it is not advisable to try and clean the reflector as you may do more harm than good , but you can clean the inside of the glass ,without any problem,Ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

I cleaned the inside of the headlight housing on my 1983 GL 1100A about two years ago. The inside of the glass lens had a film like you describe on it, and the reflector had some slightly dark areas.
My wife had some Q tips with wooden stick about eight inches long.
I ran some warmwater into the housing, added a little dishwashing soap and half of a paper towel. I used the Q tip to move the paper towelaround onthe inside of the glass lens.
With one finger I used the same soaking wet paper towel to clean as much of the reflector as I could reach; not scrubbing, just lightly rubbing.
Then leaving the soapy water and paper towel inside, I sloshed it around so the paper towel was rubbing the rest of the reflector.
I rinsed the housing with fairly hot water.
After shaking out all the water I could, Ipushed a small cotton rag inside the housingand used a dry Q tip stick to move it around. To finish drying I used a hair dryer set to warm. I covered half the bulb hole with the air dryer so air could exit the housing at the open half the hole.
I probably spent an hour or so doing this but I ended up with a clear glass lens. The reflector still had some areas that were tinted a little darker than a mirror.
Like wexy said, it is not advisable to clean the reflector but I was satisfied with mine. Each person would have to do what I did with the understanding that the reflector could be damaged.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
imported post

Hi Chuck,

Use Windex or whatever on the glass. For the reflector, just use water and a very soft cloth. Test your work on a small area to make sure it's not scratching the surface.

I used glass cleaner on mine and itmelted the chrome coating.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

It is not what to clean it with it is how to clean the inside of the headlamp assembly. I was concerened that it would be like working with radioactive materials with the robotic arms getting tools inside to clean the glass.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Checked the Honda service manual and my clymers manual. The headlamp assembly is actually 3 different and seperate parts. The reflector, gasket and the lense but can you guess which one is no longer availible through parts sources? Yep you guesed it the gasket. :?:?:?

When I had the assembly out to change the lamp, I like everyone else thought that it was a unit that was fuesed together somehow. But I guess with time the gasket and the other two parts became one.....so when I get back on Sunday I will let you know how difficult the project was. We take off tomorrow for the Buckeye Wing Rally.:action::action::action:

Chuck

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
imported post

I'm not clear on this. What were you asking?

Getting the pieces apart is simple. Remove the clips.

If the gasket is no longer available. Don't throw away the old one.

GL12 headlights are simple to clean, and cleaningmine didmore good than the fancy bulb did.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

I had mine apart and cleaned it a couple months ago and like Dennis says, it's not hard but just be careful. I used a soft cloth and glass cleaner and if your gasket is shot you may be able to make one or use some window seal. I had no trouble with mine.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

clr might work and blow them out?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.