Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have the folowing question;how do you remove stain marks and discoloration from the aluminuim engine block and casings.Is there a certain kind of paint on there?:?

Thanxs for your help!

From a very warm South Africa.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

It's hard to get stains off the OEM paint. You can get engine paint that close to OEM from most autoparts stores. Dupli color #1615 aluminium high temp paint also Dupli color high temp clear. I recently did my ugly spots and the front trans/ waterpump covers over on my 81 wing and it came out great, Of coarse I have my carbs out of the bike and that gives you more room on the top of the motor for painting. Just did some prep work cleaning and sanding and it came out nice
and the results

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanxs Wingd..your before restoration pics looks the same as mine..gonna follow your advice.

Berns

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

You will have to put some elbow grease into it but it's worth the end result. I pulled the front engine cover off and painted it as well. That required a front end gasket kit and is a little more involved but if you use the instruction from the link below you should have no problem.

http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13108

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Before painting, clean the surface well. If heavy grease, I use gasoline apllied with a paint brush or steel brush if possible. Steam cleaning can work but I found it to rust bare steel surfaces. I follow by a cleaning of Simple Green.

Be aware some paints dissolve if gasoline hits them. Honda used to sell the engine paint, but a semi dull silver will work. Duplicolor is good and they have several Honda/other silver colors.

This stuff is a laquer, I think. Enamels, unless cured, will dissolve.

·
Administrator
26,173 Posts
imported post

The easiest way to clean it is oven cleaner but it will take the paint off so be prepared to repaint if you use it.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

yup used oven cleaner. Works a treat. By the way I understand that the paint peeling is to do with fuel leaks from the carbs above. If you paint it it will probally do it again. Even though I have spent a lot on doing up mine I still feel this is a characteristic of the goldie and left this alone.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Caution,

Oven cleaner / Sodium Hydroxide with aluminum will make alot of Hydrogen gas........but then again, maybe you were thinking about fuel cell technology in powering your 'wing?

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

I found Dupli-color DE1615 ceramic engine enamel matches the color almost exactly. To clean the engine I used my Dremel tool with a wire wheel to get all of the corrosion and flaking paint off and then took an air hose to get all of the dust from the nook and crannies. But when I did it I had my carbs off so it was a lot easier to get to.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I forgot what type of paint I used, but I put on a coat of automotive clear after painted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.