Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What is the best product to use to clean the plastic chrome on the GW? I am doing a first time clean up on the bike and some of the plastic chrome is spotted and I could not get it off. Was using the spray cleaner from Honda.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
imported post

I use lemon Pledge on mine but I guess it depends on what caused the spots, otherwise it shines mine right up.

Brian

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I used pledge on the Yamaha but thought I would use the high dollar stuff on the wing since it was in the trunk. It is not chips it looks like maybe water spots. I will try tomorrow with the pledge and see if that gets it. Thanks

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Be VERY careful with plastic chrome. Chromed metal is very fragile and easily damaged. Chromed plastic is MUCH more fragile. If it is water spots, you may have a problem. We have such bad water here (it's full of calcium chloride) that water spots can be nearly impossible to remove, and if not removed quickly, will etch the finish, and then they're permanent. They will even etch glass. I have had some success getting them off my patio door (from a sprinkler) with toilet bowl cleaner (phosphoric acid) but you can't use that on a motorcycle. DO NOT use chrome polish on plastic chrome. I learned that one the hard way, a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks JerryH, I think that is what I have is water spots that were not wiped off soon enough and may have to live with it. My husband keeps telling me it is an 11 year old bike!

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

My dog peed on my chrome rotor cover, I did not see it right away and it dried.
Anyway to remove the water streak stain and I am getting a blue type corrosion also. Thought I had it cleaned once, but it came back right away.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Welcome Raven, If you try the pledge, let it sit for a little bit. Not so long that it almost dries, but just a few minutes. Also, if it hasn't been on there that long, some turtle wax can clean it up fairly nicely. Just don't press too hard on it. If it's not going away, then it's probably not going to.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i cleaned the plastic chrome of my chinese bike with turtle wax the white one it worked good and did not damaged the parts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.