Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Winters getting on my nerves and I'm looking at small things to do on the wing. Apparently the PO had decided to clean the aluminum shield on the front of the fairing and was a bit to aggressive in several spots and he completely removed the protective clearcoat and it looks like hell.

So that leaves me with the problem of what to do about it. So, what would you do about it?

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

you could either take it to a metal polisher, or buy a small polishing kit and do it yourself

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

using paint remover to get rid of the rest of the clear coat will help. Once you have polished to a mirro shine you can have a ceramic / powder coater , coat it in clear to protect the finish of just leave alnone and mothers wipe it every so often to get that glaze back.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

Richardrwg wrote:
Winters getting on my nerves and I'm looking at small things to do on the wing. Apparently the PO had decided to clean the aluminum shield on the front of the fairing and was a bit to aggressive in several spots and he completely removed the protective clearcoat and it looks like hell.

So that leaves me with the problem of what to do about it. So, what would you do about it?
THE BEST polish is FLITZ bar non..It is non abrasive and it can be used on any and everything if its metal, plastic, chrome,glass clear plastic like winsheilds painted surfacesetc. I have not found anything you can't polish with it. Thats the truth and nothing but the truth so help me budda:Dgreat product I have tried them all believe me.till then:cool:P.S. all you will need is some 4 zero steel wool (0000) and a couple of micro cloth rags and if you spend the time I will guarantee it will look like it is chrome plated this should last 6 months before you will have to touch it up or FLITZ also have a protective wax too..good luck:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Thanks MRbswing. The check we discussed is in the mail. I subtracted 10% because you didnt mention the weebsite or where this product can be found.
Best wishes
Mr Flitz
CEO Flitz inc.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
imported post

Where can I find this polish?

·
Premium Member
31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

mrbswing, have you ever used it on your windshield? If so how did it do with the scratches and did it remove the coating on the windshield?

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

Richardrwg wrote:
mrbswing, have you ever used it on your windshield? If so how did it do with the scratches and did it remove the coating on the windshield?
Keep in mind this is a NON abrasive polish!!The ones I used it on didn't seem to have any coating on them? it works great for foggy windsheilds and will take care of minor scratches but won't fix deep scratches. The only way I know to fix bad scratches is to wet sand it with ultra fine sand paper then use the Flitz but please don't try this on a good windsheild play with one that is not that important until you figure out whats right and whats wrong. To the best of my knowledge there is NO polish that will actually remove scratches it will only make it appear that they are removed but they really are not if you look close. Wet sanding is the ONLY way I know of to really remove bad scratches. I hope this was some help? I have been doing this for at least 100 years, well it seems to be that long:doh:till then:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

many people have been clearing thier yellow headlights on the cages. You start with a higher grit and work your way down till about 2000 grit then you start with low abrasive compound and end with a glaze like FITZ which will give you a great finish.

I just started polishing my shield. I have already done the 80 grit and 100 grit.
My shield was badly pitted . The PO snaded once before and decided to paint same color asthe rest of the wing.
I will be starting higher grit papers on thrusday will post pics of teh process.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Here you see after the 80 grit and a quick 100 grit. Make sure to get rid of all the swirl marks from the heavier grit befor moving on to the next higher grit.

More to come.

Be carefull as the shield is soft aluminun and taking material away from the shield only makes it softer. Too much pressure will disfigure the piece. let the sandpaper do the work.

you can see by the bolrts the color it was painted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.