Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi guys,

Sometimes I clean my 1998 GL 1500 by hosing her down with water and cleaning with suds (from auto washing soap), hosing again, then towel dry... and sometimes I only spray water from a bottleand towel dry, even when she is really dirty.

Have you seen anyissues from using suds and water from the hose; as long as they are towel dried well?

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

That's probably how most of us do it Brian. It's just the pressure washers you need to be wary of as the mist gets into the wheel bearings.
I sometimes use a watering can with the rose (the thing with all the little holes) attached for rinsing off, if the bike was really mucky. I don't let it near the engine of course. A chamois cloth to get the excess water off (some people lucky enough to have an air compressor use an air gun to blow the water off) before waxing.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
That's probably how most of us do it Brian. It's just the pressure washers you need to be wary of as the mist gets into the wheel bearings.
I sometimes use a watering can with the rose (the thing with all the little holes) attached for rinsing off, if the bike was really mucky. I don't let it near the engine of course. A chamois cloth to get the excess water off (some people lucky enough to have an air compressor use an air gun to blow the water off) before waxing.
Is it the mist Al or direct impingement of the spray?

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
Is it the mist Al or direct impingement of the spray?
It's a bit of both. Obviously directing the main jet at wheel bearings etc will blast the greas out from under the seal. But also the fine spray at the edge of the main water jet can get right into bearing seals, brake pad pins and so on and will just wash the grease off.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

One thing I always do before washing is take the bike out on a ride to heat things up. That way the water that collects in crevices, nooks and crannies, is going to evaporate more quickly. I only wipe it down in cold weather, don't want the water hanging around and making rust. In the winter if it really has to have a wash, I put it in the shop with a box fan blowing on it overnight. I really get fanatical about rust and corrosion.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
imported post

exavid, as you have an interest in aviation, have you come across ACF-50 which is pitched as an aviation anti-corrosion product. I have used this stuff on my 1500 and I must say it really does keep the rust and corrosion at bay, particularly in hard toreach places, like where the enginecrash bars meet the frame, which always rusted up on me in the past.

G

·
imported post

And when your finished with the water, :clapper:spray on Honda Cleaner and Polish and wipe her clean andbright.:weightlifter:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

GreenWing wrote:
exavid, as you have an interest in aviation, have you come across ACF-50 which is pitched as an aviation anti-corrosion product. I have used this stuff on my 1500 and I must say it really does keep the rust and corrosion at bay, particularly in hard toreach places, like where the enginecrash bars meet the frame, which always rusted up on me in the past.
I've used the stuff on floatplane fittings, though I think Paralketone (sp?) gives the best protection. Unfortunately it's a lot like Cosmoline and doesn't look very nice.

·
Registered
177 Posts
imported post

To keep rust and corrosion at bay, the best is to keep the build up of dirt off all areas, the areas where there is an accumulation of crud actually retains the moisture andprevents the moisture from evapourating and this result in rust. By keeping the area clean allows the area to dry quickly. Waxing and/or polish will assit you in your mission. This is why I remove darn near everythingso I can clean all areas of bike with my big fingers and toothbrush and then wax as much of the frame and tank ect. as I can.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
imported post

Yep, have a look at http://www.corrosion-control.com/acf50.html

I found the stuff pretty good, there was also a write up in last months classic mechanics whereby a test was carried using six pistons and five products, the pistons were all soaked in salt water then treated with each product (except one which was not treated at all) and left outside during January and February, the result was that allthe aluminium pistons were covered in fur except the one treated with ACF-50.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

here in the US, I use a product called Corrosion-X on my 84, and it certainly stops the yuckies. It sprays clear

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

GreenWing wrote:
Yep, have a look at http://www.corrosion-control.com/acf50.html

I found the stuff pretty good, there was also a write up in last months classic mechanics whereby a test was carried using six pistons and five products, the pistons were all soaked in salt water then treated with each product (except one which was not treated at all) and left outside during January and February, the result was that allthe aluminium pistons were covered in fur except the one treated with ACF-50.
Definite proof that you shouldn't soak your pistons in salt water! :cheeky1:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.