Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Got to thinking about ways to clean the chrome on the bike and was wondering if maybe one of those hand held steamers with the soft brush attachment might work good.:baffled:Or if there is a small amount of rust on the chrome in places if this wouldn't get down into it and get it out of there prior to a chrome polish.

Thoughts please:waving:

Putt

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
imported post

I have used 0000 steelwool with a bit of chrome cleaner put on to the steel wool with very good results...then just put a good coat of wax on it to stave off the inevitable rust for as long as possible.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
imported post

Foil works great on light rust and then follow up with Boms away, it works great...
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

i would like to help you out putt but my wife polishes the bike, she wants to ride then she polishes...

BTW just in case you are wondering...yes i do extend the chain so she can get out of the kitchen.......

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

taffy australia wrote:
i would like to help you out putt but my wife polishes the bike, she wants to ride then she polishes...

BTW just in case you are wondering...yes i do extend the chain so she can get out of the kitchen.......
Angling for a little involuntaryextension of your bedrest, Taff?:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

i may be crippled but i can still move quicker than she can drag that chain.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
imported post

taffy australia wrote:

Hmmmmm....I'm not getting in the middle of that one!:grinner:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I use #000 or #0000 steel wool with But and Tar Remover. The bug and tar remover is a cleaner wax so you get it nice and clean and wax it in one operation.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

I watched a Mythbusters episode in the past couple of months and they had a Coka Cola piece with all the stuff Coke was supposed to do and the only one that DID WORK ( acording to them ) was using a cola drink and aluminun foil to remove rust from chrome. In the Northeast USA we had 70 degree temp till Mid January and winter is JUST NOW stopping in MAY so I havent tried this myself BUT i will soon good luck and get back if it doew in fact work....RMD

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
imported post

So what about plastic chrome? I've used Mother's brand chrome polish with good resultson chromed metal, but I haven't really tried to take out scratches in the plastic chrome for fear of removing too much chrome.

I am assuming that the steel wool should NOT be used on plastic chrome?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

I've been wondering long enough WHAT is that 6 cylinder transverse bike in you picture thanks Rod Mad Donald

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
imported post

It is the engine of a Honda CBX.

Production years 78 - 82. 6 cylinders, 1050cc, 1981 and 1982 models had fairings and bags and weighed 630lbs dry. 6 carbs and 24 valves. Saweeeeet

If there was a bike that could be considered a sport touring machine before the CBX, I don't know what it would be.

They made a 6 into 1 header pipe for those bikes. That is still my favorite sounding engine - with the 6 into 1 pipe. Sounds like nothing else I've ever heard.

ps. I had a Harley rider point to mine and tell me

"I rode one of those things once, and you won't ever get my a$$ on one of those again"

He said it was too fast lol

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hi Cranky, steel wool will definitely scratch the chromed plastic. I don't think there's much of anything that will hide scratches in that stuff, at least I haven't found anything that will do much for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.