Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, I've gotten to the point where I'm trying to get the old girl looking good and I've run into a real problem. The PO never took much interest in cleaning the seat and back rest and as a result they are black. In trying to clean them I found that there are literal layers of baked on grime.

I've used the standard cleaners, saddle soap, bleach water, dish and laundry soap, furniture cleaner, floor cleaner, even some things that I would be embarrassed to mention that I used. Nothing is getting the black off to show the original color.

Has anyone found something that will cut through years of ground in, blackend grime?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

have you tried Goo Gone ??

That stuff has done wonders around my house. It will even remove Duct Tape.

Another one is ordinary Isopropyl Alcohol which can remove Duct Tape when other cleaners won't.

Both will need to soak a bit and a judicious amount of rubbing will be involved.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

If the seats aren't black leather, it isn't likely they can be restored to another color. It seems the leather will had to be mechanically cleaned [scraped] instead of chemically cleaned.

Many chemical, like alcohol, will remove the natural oils from the leather, which will need to be replaced.

It would probably be best to just recover the seats, which can be quite economical, too.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The seats are naugahide, not leather and their originally the brown/maroon color. The blackness is grime that has never cleaned and has been baked and worn into the material.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I'd be very careful with using Alcohol, as it'll turn the material a whitish colour, if you use too much. :shock:

Have you tried WD40 on it yet? :baffled:

Dusty

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

What caused the black stain? aka, What is the black stuff? Grease?

Remember basic chemistry; "likes disolve likes".

If it is grease or oil, it will require a petroleum distillate to remove. However, naugahyde is used for 'vinyl' coverings. Since vinyl is a monovalent radical CH[suB]2[suP]=>[/suP][/suB]CH derived from ethylene, you can figure the best solvent once the composition of the stain is determined.

Using the 'wrong' chemical can set the stain permanently.

Maybe the PO knows what the "grime" is, so you can remove it without destroying the vinyl.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

WD-40 was one of the first things I tried, I love that stuff.

As far as what it is, I think it's just road grime and lack of cleaning, it literally covers the entire seat, top, sides, back, all of it. The pad for the backrest is the same.

I found a site "naugahide.com", that makes the stuff and they suggest lighter fluid. (No beans before that ride). I guess that will be my next try. So for the best luck I've had is with Formbys furniture cleaner and degreaser.

Told ya I've tried everything.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

How about trying "OPPS" it is at a good quality hardware store. Great stuff. Cleans paint of of most surfaces without distroying the paint under it. Ah, perhaps a paintshop would be a better place to get it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.