Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleaning the windscreen?

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Eamonn1200 
imported post

Meguiars will work fine, I've used it for years on aircraft plexiglass. Take the windsheild off and lay it on a towel on a flat surface and buff away. I've done it by hand, with a 3/8" drill and a buffing pad and with an electric buffer. Meguiras makes a polishing solution for scratch removal which works faster, but the regular stuff will do the job. I won't work on polycarbonate (Lexan) but then nothing does well on that stuff since it's surfact is too soft.

imported post

03Silver wrote:
At $79 for a new screen, it hardly seems worth all that bother and elbow grease trying to save the old one. :?
It does to me! $79 bucks ain't chicken feed at my place! If there is no sign of cracking, buff it out. You will be surprised how well it will come out. You can do it on the bike but cover things with a drop cloth or newspaper so you won't have to do what GWEddie had to. The worst side will be the front of course, but taking it off the bike and doing the inside will be well worth the effort. It really doesn't take all that long and it's not too much work with a drill and buffing pad. Just keep the drill rpms down a bit if it's a 1/4" drill because too high a speed heats things up.

:grinner:

imported post

It's amazing what determination can do. I had a side window break in -45F weather on an old Piper Pacer I owned. In the village of Kotzebue were I lived there wasn't any source of plexiglass but I found an old pinball machine that had a plexiglass back board, the part where all the scores and graphics are. After sanding off the paint with asanding disk on my drill using 400 wet paper (the finest I could find) and then working with a buffingpad and a bottle of Meguiar's I managed to get the piece cleaned up and looking almost like new. Just had to cut it and install it. The thing was still in the airplane years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.