Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I don't know why, but only 'Stones seem to have some kind of coating that doesn't want to leave the tire. When freshly washed it looks shiney like the tires have a ton of Armor-All on them. When given a chance to get dirty it makes rings. Ugly rings. I've been told it's a release compound.

I've tried just about everything to get it off the tiresbut nothing cuts through it. Has anybody else ('Stone owners) found a way? I'm really not sure it doesn't ooz out of the rubber itself.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

I don't think we are supposed to take the coating off, it's part of the way the tires are made so they don't dry out and crack.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I have also used brake fluid on tires, just a little at the time, don't fill up a spray bottle with it and spray it on. My problem with all tires is that they seem to be brown instead of black, and that just looks terrible. Armor All will fix that temporarily, but it will also send you sliding down the road. I usually just scrub tires with a dishwashing brush and diswashing detergent, especially Palmolive. It seems to leave some oil in the rubber. Products like Simple Green will get a tire (and wheel) clean, but the tires look terrible, kind of brown/gray.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
..... Armor All will fix that temporarily, but it will also send you sliding down the road. .......

I don't think that this product is intended for tire treads... I only use it on the sidewalls. Use in this mannerhas caused no ill-effects in the last 30 years of use.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Actually, Armor All CAN be used on sidewalls, but with great care. You don't just spray it on, if you do some is bound to get on the tread, and it is as slippery as grease. But if you take a rag, or better yet a sponge, and apply it very carefully to just the sidewall, it will usually be ok. Don't put on a bunch, with the intention of letting it "soak in" the tire should be dry when you are done with it. I wish they made a similar product similar to lotion, that could be carefully rubbed into the sidewalls. Liquid Armor All, like WD-40, tends to "wick" away from the area where you put it, onto surrounding areas. I have used Armor All on motorcycle tires without incident, but don't really have the time, energy, or inclination to get into serious bike detailing anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

SabreJoe wrote:
I don't think we are supposed to take the coating off, it's part of the way the tires are made so they don't dry out and crack.
+1

It is an emulsion given off buy the tire to keep the rubber soft and ply able.Just working against the make up of tire trying to dry it out it will slow after time. Some tires show it more than others. wash with mild soap and rinse.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Any Bridgestone owners wish to offer a suggestion?

We used to use brake fluid on car tires, but I don't know about a bike.It probably would eat through the coating, it will eat through everything else. Question is, will it damage the tire.

Seems like, even as kids, we knew it was bad for the car tires.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

Don't think I would use brake fluid on them. A little to harsh for a soft rubber over time.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

I only use it on the sidewalls. Use in this manner has caused no ill-effects +1 But there aren't any twistys to ride here.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Too busy riding to be concerned with tire colors......

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
John Goodell wrote:
I've used Bridgestones and I just give the tyres time to dry off naturally.
I don't understand what you mean, John.
Yea, I don't understand that either........

I try to air dry mine for a couple of minutes then I put them through the "Spin Cycle"...:action::action:

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

desert wings wrote:
Don't think I would use brake fluid on them. A little to harsh for a soft rubber over time.
there are rubber parts in the brake system. just do not spray the tires done with it.

I found Armor-all attracts dirt that dries the rubber out and helps the cracking in the rubber

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.